Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alabamajan_gw

Jeff. Co. 'Master Gardening' program joke

alabamajan
16 years ago

There was a time when I thought that being a Master Gardener meant a person who was very knowledgable in the art of gardening. Not anymore.

I work for a local nursery. Time after time I've had some yuppie lady come in and tell me that they are a 'master gardener'......yet they don't know what fertilizer to use,(other than the one they were TOLD to use in the program),

They know virtually NOTHING about gardening!!!! Honest.

Apparently it is some kind if fad amongst this group to go take the M.G. course. And apparently, as long as you can volunteer the required number of hours, you get your Master Gardening certificate.

Sadly, this belittles the 'true' Master Gardeners. The people who live and breath gardening. The people this course was meant for. I see these people too. And one can quickly tell a difference in 'yuppie master gardener' and 'True master gardener'.

So, next time someone tells you they are a 'master gardener', it is very likely they really don't know beans about gardening.

Comments (9)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    16 years ago

What an unkind posting, alabamajan.

• loveofmylife680
    16 years ago

I for one am far from knowing everything about gardening but I understand what you mean alabamajan about some master gardeners. I have met some that act like they are so uppity then I have met some that are very helpful but I really think they are the ones that already knew alot when they went into the program. So I cant say they are all that way. I have thought of going to work part time at a small nursery just to learn more but do not know who would let me work just a few hours a week, they could just pay me in plants, I am serious about that. But I feel that would be the best way to learn.
    Jill

• terramadre
    16 years ago

As far as I am concerned, being a MG means "learn one - teach one" and I am a MG since 1985.
    I've never met a snobby, yuppie MG.

Since you are employed at a nursery, the customer is king or queen.

If you canÂt stand the heat, get out of the kitchen which means:" DonÂt take on a job if you are unwilling to face its pressures". This saying was a favorite of President Harry S. Truman.

Here is a link that might be useful: Allegation

• ourhighlandhome
    16 years ago

Rhizo, having followed your posts from SC to AL, I have all the respect in the world for you & your opinions. And Terramadre, I love ya to death for the unselfishness kindness you've shown me over the years. However, alabamajan is stating her opinion, and, quite frankly, her opinion is shared by more than just a few members of this forum. I have personally met two self-described "master gardeners" who, after sharing conversation, have left me shaking my head.

I don't know alabamajan personally, but upon re-reading her post I don't believe she was slamming MG's as a whole. She may wish she had re-worded it a bit if she had known what an uproar it would cause, but her experience is just that - her experience, and you can't take that away from her.

Just my humble opinion,

Nelson

• tony_pman
    16 years ago

Being a MG does not make a person an expert on Gardening. It gives them a start. If they don't keep learning they will be left behind. I know lots of older gardener that I would go to for help, before I would go to some of the MG. I have some MG friends that come to my garden and we walk all over it talking about the different plants. They give me some names and help and I give them some. I also have people come to buy that, I would have though new gordening, they don't. Nearly each day I am asked a question that I don't know. I go to search or my books for the answers. I also go to Jan, Jill, Susan, Nelson, Terry, Lynn and my daughter (Debra). Oh Yes lets not forget Wayne. Terramadre and rhizo you did not get all your gardening know how from the Master Gardening program. I read all your post and both know a lots and most came from the fact that you keep digging. Some MG do not and they get left behind. All of us have the right to vent about our job, sometimes. Bye the way, both of you come across as know-it-alls and snobby sometimes.

Tony Tony_PMan

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    16 years ago

Oh my! The things that come out when we least expect it!

I still think that alabamajan could have found a more productive and positive way to express her frustration about Master Gardeners. Especially here in the Alabama Forum, where kindness, helpfulness, and generosity is the norm. I was very much caught by surprise.

I've taught some classes for MG groups in several states, including Alabama, and have found these folks, for the most part, to be willing students and passionate gardeners. I have met a few who are 'too big for their britches', so to speak. ;-) We usually say that they "know just enough to be dangerous." Those are the people that just need some more educating.

I suspect that jan is run over with customers at this time of year, and when one or two MG's throw their 'knowledge' around a bit, she gets irritated. Operating in the retail arena in the spring certainly requires more than a fair share of patience.

(Terramadre...for what it's worth....I've NEVER thought that you come across as snobby or know-it-all. lol)

• fredw10
    16 years ago

I believe that what was said may be true. I know that many in our group retained only a small amount of what they were exposed to in the MG course. Some took it only for their personal needs without giving a thought to the main puropose of the program which is volunteering as an aid to the county agents and to the community.I have not seen any MG's I know display the attitude mentioned.
    Most in our group, even with limited knowledge, are doing much good in the community by participating in worthwhile projects of furthering the horticultural education of themselves and others, in beautification projects, teaching kids in school and camp programs, landscaping at playgrounds, etc. So, to poo-poo the program is wrong.
    Perhaps alabamajan erroniously expects all MG's to know as much as she has learned from her experience. I suggest she take the course herself to find out what it is all about. It's purpose is Volunteering in the community. I know several landscapers and nursery owners who have taken the course to their own benefit.

• patricianat
    16 years ago

After all, it is not a four-year bachelor's degree; it is a basic course in which basic gardening is taught and those who take the course should go on to learn more with the tools they have and help others in the process. I really hope this was said in a moment of haste and overwork, as it really does not apply to all master gardeners. Some of you might not know and some will, that master gardeners often get discounts at some places and I would not be surprised that some people might say it in order to get a discount, but if that is the case, it is even more distasteful that someone would do that.

• razorback33
    16 years ago

Let's not lose sight of the mandate of the MG program, which is Volunteerism, the act and practice of doing volunteer work in community service. It was never intended to educate anyone to the level of a BS degree in Botany or Horticulture. Granted, some people enter the program for various reasons, even self aggrandizement and fail to grasp that the intent of the classroom sessions is to aquaint you with the basics and set in motion a remaining lifetime of searching for more information.
    Also granted, the administration of the program, beginning with the selection of candidates, is close to an abject failure in some locations(Counties). I personally know of many knowledgeable, avid plant enthusiasts that were rejected for the program, in favor of bored housewives, that never set foot in a garden, because they were deemed more "likely" to have spare time to "man the phones". Direct quote from an Extension Agent!
    Don't hastily form an opinion that all MG's were created by the same mold! I encounter many in Botany and Horticulture classes where I refresh occasionally at a local College. They certainly aren't resting on their laurels and I'm sure there are many more out there.
    Rb