Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Starting an Apple Tree

Posted by mpljc Alabama (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 5, 09 at 9:58

I have an Apple tree that is on our property line. It has the best apples - we make apple pies and cobblers from it each year. We pick a few and sit on the front porch to peel and eat them on a hot day - seems to make them taste even better.

Anywhoo, on to my original reason for posting. How could I start new trees from this tree? I will need very elementary steps - I would hate for this tree to die off in the next few years and not be able to get any of its awesome apples.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Starting an Apple Tree

Try the url below. Click Alabama, your county, etc. to find the phone number of the Auburn Cooperative Extension Services in your county. Give them a call. I would bet ACES can put you in touch with someone who can help you graft the apple you now have. You can probably buy a cheap apple tree, one of those wrapped in paper, at a local store and get it started as rootstock this year in a large pot. Then next year you can get someone to help you do the graft. Also, look at the propagation forum for ideas. You may be able to rot a cutting, especially if you start now.

Here is a link that might be useful: Auburn Cooperative Extension Agent

o
RE: Starting an Apple Tree

it wouldnt' hurt to try air layering a few stems.
i think it might be a faster process than grafting.
the time is right for that method and you could perform this treatment on several areas just to increase your chances for success.
the instructions at the link below are easy to follow.

Here is a link that might be useful: air layering technique

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here