Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calgon_gw

Novice needs help with Rose!!

calgon
16 years ago

My mother's home was sold recently and at the last minute I decided to tranplant a rosebush to my yard. I didnt read up on "how to" first . .but hope this rose will live! I know practically zilch about gardening, so need help!

-Its some kind of climber, and has very fragrant, lavender blooms, and has to be 10 yrs old or more. Mother wasnt able to work in her yard for at least a few years now, so nothing has been done to it for awhile, but last summer it was loaded with blooms.

-It was approx 6 feet tall with a good many leaves when I transplanted. I cut back the canes to approx 18 inches, which took out all the leaves. Some of the canes are green. A couple are a grey color and I thought they were dead, but even the grey ones have new growth on them now. Should I remove the grey canes??

-I planted the bush deeper than recommended from what I am reading now, but its probably close to the same depth it was in my mother's yard. What problems can planting too deep cause?? Should I replant it, and if so, when??

-I used Miracle Grow "Quick Start" on it a few days after I transplanted, then reapplied 7 days later. As per the instructions on the Quick Start . .7 days after that I used Miracle Grow "Shake and Feed Continuous Release Rose Food".

-There are quite a few new shoots appearing, and the first tiny leaves opened up today!! I did notice something that looked like white flecks on the new leaves. When I tap the cane, the flecks some off and dont appear to be an insect. Is this normal??

Any help or advice is greatly needed here!!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Rosete Hardscapes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Richmond, VA Professional Design-Build Firm Specializing in Hardscape