Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
plant shopping in Mobile area

Posted by cindi_in_ks z6 KS 67232 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 2, 09 at 10:19

Hello all,
My daughter is living in Mobile, working at the University of South Alabama until the semester ends in May. Hopefully she'll move back to Kansas after that. I won't be able to visit her before she moves back, so I'm going to have her do some plant shopping for me. She's not a real plant person, (yet!)so what I plan to do is send her to nurseries, then shop by cell phone. I need help from you all in finding nurseries so I don't send her on a wild goose chase. I imagine I can get her to drive within an hour from Mobile, so what I need is a list of good places to find the plants I most want. I would like to find:
Banana shrub, Nun's Orchid, a papaya tree, a Key Lime tree, brugmansia, lycoris or lilies like that, hibiscus.
Last time I was down that way I was amazed at how many nurseries I saw, and how much cheaper they were than what we pay up here. Most of the plants I mentioned are not available up here at any price. I know I could probably find them on mail order, but part of my plan is to get my 21 year old daughter to love plants the way I do.
Any help is appreciated! Feel free to email me privately if you want to keep your favorite sources secret!
Price is important too. Let me know if one place is cheaper than another.
Cindi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: plant shopping in Mobile area

Mobile Bot. Gardens is having a Marketplace sale every Saturdy throuhg June from 9-11 a.m. Google them to see what is offered.

o
RE: plant shopping in Mobile area

Try Bayside Tropical Nursery 251-443-9222 on Hammock Road; they have citrus trees and many tropicals that probably won't live in KS. Also Shore Acres (251) 973-1459 on Belligrath Road, they have a very large selection and great prices. Lowes also has a good selection including citrus trees and hybiscus.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here