Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Did begonias overwinter or drop seeds?

Posted by purpleinopp 8b AL (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 18, 11 at 10:20

My Mom has some white-flowering begonias, the kind with plain bright green leaves that come in 4- or 6-packs. We weren't expecting them to overwinter but they are back. They don't look like seedlings, but by the time we noticed the plants poking through a couple inches of leaves, it was hard to tell if they were seedlings or the same plants from last year.

We are about 20 miles N of FL border in Covington county. What do you folks think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Did begonias overwinter or drop seeds?

Many different types of begonias are tender perennials and will overwinter in mild climates. From your description, I'd guess that the begonia we're talking about is one of the Begonia sempervirens-cultorum hybrids, also called wax begonias. They are the ones commonly sold in the cell packs with the rest of the bedding plants. I couldn't give you the commercial hybrid name, since there are several series on the market. For example, the Pizzazz series has a nice white (and the other colors) selection with those crisp green leaves.

I like the green leaved varieties the best, myself, but the bronze ones can be planted where there's a little more sunlight.

I hope it doesn't add to the confusion, but Begonia semperflorens-cultorum is often sold AS an annual and referred to as an annual. But now you know it as a tender perennial.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here