Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what did I do?!

Posted by MiKru none (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 17, 13 at 10:58

Apparently my local squirrel community hates my guts. I knew about this hatred last year, so I took some precautions (bird netting over my raised beds, with the seedlings put in small tears in the netting), but they seem to have spent the winter thinking through ways to keep me from growing a garden. They are simply wreaking havoc on everything. If I've learned anything from this, it's that a replanted dug-up tomato seedling springs back to life quite quickly.

I've googled around and read the various solutions. But I'm just wondering: does anyone have real life experience with something that's worked? I can't shoot them, as I'm not a gun person and there are too many kids and houses around, but I seem to live among the most vindictive squirrel population in Alabama.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what did I do?!

Squirrels are the most prolific, busy, and constant of all gardeners, but they do make strange decisions, don't they?! Hard to wrap your mind around sometimes.

Your question is kind of vague, but I have learned squirrels are not the only critters digging around out there. Toads and armadillos may have done some of these things.

Is it newly planted baby plants that are your focus? If it's few enough in number, putting a few rocks or bricks around them can help protect. Plastic forks stuck in the dirt, handle-end first, with the tines sticking up are a great deterrent around new plants or in pots.

When tomatoes start coming on, keeping a water dish nearby can help them go unmolested longer if they are being nibbled out of thirst.

o

It's definitely squirrels -- I have a fenced in yard and have never seen an armadillo in it.

I'm just trying to protect my seedlings. I've raised them from seed since February. I'll definitely try rocks and forks. Thanks for the tip.

o

I hope it helps! They don't usually bother my veggie plants but for some reason, there's several old wash tubs at the base of trees in this yard. Cool planters but sometimes these get molested pretty bad, frustrating. Too much area for forks, arranging the little rocks gets tedious as I keep adding a sprig of this, baby piece of that...

Don't discount Fowler's toad for digging though. I've found them in pots and under things, and seen them jump up out of flower beds - out of the ground - when I stared poking around.

o

They love to dig in my winter sowing containers...

o

If they start attacking your veggies, especially if it's been dry, keeping the birdbath full will help. They do love soft soil to dig in.

Or, you could get a terrier. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here