Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cannas

Posted by donnadee54 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 19, 10 at 11:09

Longtime lurker here and I really appreciate all the advice and wisdom that you share. I live in central Alabama and have had cannas in the ground for many years. Should I be concerned that I haven't seen any signs of life yet -- or is it still a little bit early?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cannas

I live in Southern Cullman Co. Mine are just now starting to poke their heads up.

o

Thanks for the reply. I'm in Cullman County too -- I'll just try to be patient a little longer.

o

Well, I'm in Mobile, and mine are up about a foot. They are looking pretty healthy, but I doused them with Sevin dust anyway. Those leaf curler thingys can sure make them look a mess.

My favorite Phaesion is in a big pot, and it looks great. The other striped canna, Praetoria or is it Bengal Tiger, it has spread during the winter, and I have several small shoots coming up as far away from the original plant as 2 feet. I hope the clummp will look great by late summer.

I was working in the front beds today, did not get around to the one in my circle driveway, where all the day lilies and other cannas reside. Maybe tomorrow.

o

I live in Jefferson County. I have Cannas in two areas of my yard and they have already come up. Although eight out of nine of my banana plants are showing no signs of life. This is making me sick.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here