Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

New to AL, where to shop in wiregrass area?

Hi new neighbors. I moved here a couple years ago from central Ohio. I'm finally ready to get back to some gardening but have no idea where any good plant stores/nurseries are around here. Here = Opp. I work in Enterprise. I'd like to know about any good place from Andalusia to Enterprise, Brantley to Crestview. I got a few standars from Lowe's (I prefer not to buy plants at places like that but had a moment of weakness while buying a mower) but would like to find more unusual plants. I need some sedums, coleus, heliotrope, anything with variegated leaves, and other interesting, pretty plants.

And one other area-newbie question... Where's the mulch? I've seen the pine straw all around in people's yards but u know how us yankees like finely shredded hardwood. Maybe I just need educated. Is there a reason it would be undesirable?

TIA for any enlightenment that anyone can offer.

Comments (8)

• auhort1990
    15 years ago

I know there is a place in the Elba Hwy. (or used to be). I can't remember the name but it is on the right kinda across from the skating rink. They probably do not have very much quality material though. Maybe someone else from the neighboring areas can help you more.

I was born and raised in Opp but now live in Montgomery. My parents and sister still live there though.

As for the mulch. Most people in the south use pinestraw because it is more available. I don't know of anyone down that way that sells it.

• tweetypye
    15 years ago

To address your question about hardwood mulch, I think most people prefer pine straw or pine bark mulch because of the termite threat in the south. I know that people also use cypress mulch down here. All of these are available from your local Home Depot or Lowes. Walmart also carrys most of them. :)

• bamagrit
    15 years ago

Sue's Nursery located on Hwy 27 South(Geneva Hwy) out of Enterprise.

• caroleena
    15 years ago

i live in ozark but we drive to all the area nurseries. Pat's Petals in Ozark 231 north about 5 miles from mcdonalds.
    another we like is PC nursery in midland city
    http://pcsnursery.com/
    these have healthy and reasonably priced plants

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for your suggestions. Much appreciated. I hope to have a chance to visit these places soon.

Since posting my question, I've visited Four Seasons right here in Opp and was very pleased with the plants I found there. A beautiful fuchsia hanging basket, some pretty lime-colored coleus, something called a mexican firecracker I think, some very healthy tomato plants, salvia, ornamental peppers, and the cutest little white zinnias.

Original Author
    13 years ago

Just wanted to sing the praises of Four Seasons again. I mentioned to the lady there I was hoping to find persian shield (strobilanthes) plants and she said although they didn't have any, she would order a tray for me if I wanted the whole thing. Trying to wait patiently...

Found a great ornamental pepper with black leaves and purple flowers, several varieties of coleus, some other veg pepper plants, some type of alternanthera, 3-pack of tomato seedlings. If you're in Opp, stop by, Adams Rd. about 1/2 mile south of Rt. 52, right in town.

• Bamatufa
    13 years ago

From north central Alabama. Welcome to Alabama! Enjoy the warm / hot weather down there!

Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks! And whew - no doubt! It's 95 right now.

Got the tray of 8 persian shield plants the last week of April & they are fantastic! Glad she ordered a 2nd tray, had to go back for 2 more last week, 1 more for me, 1 for a mother's day present. Also found some Plumbago that I apparently overlooked the other visits. Excellent!

Now to find some streptocarpella, heliotrope...

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer