Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bcb77

Can y'all tell me more about the Oak Mtn Swap?

bcb77
18 years ago

I'm new to this forum and to gardening in general. I would love to come to the swap, but I'm not sure what all it entails. Can you help me answer these questions:

How does the swap work? How many plants should I bring?

If I don't have a lot of plants to share, can I bring cuttings?

What types of plants have folks brought in the past?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm very much looking forward to attending.

Thanks,

Beth

Comments (6)

• tony_pman
    18 years ago

Each trader that is coming to swap list that they are coming on the exchange page. They then list what plants or other item they have to trade(In the past all type of things have been traded) On their plant page. You check the list of each trader to see if you want any of their plants or if you have any plant they want. You email that person and make an offer. We try to pot all plants as early as possible and mark them. Each person brings some type of food for our lunch. This is prearranged trades. we also bring extra plants to trade.
    We have had some trader to only bring a tray of plants and others to bring a church vann full. It is up to the trader.
    Yes, you can bring cuttings but if making a prearranged trade, let the other person know.
    All types of plants have been brought in the past. Wild plants- house plants - vines -shrubs - water- sun - shade. All types (except the crazy weed)
    To enter Oak Mt cost 2 dollars each person. No cost for the swap.
    We all go thinking not to find any plants we want, but come away surprised. Lots of the trader have been trading with each other for years , so we really like for new people to come.
    Hope this helps. See you at the swap.

Tony

• debbido
    18 years ago

Well said! I hope you can come out and join us. It is a very informal thing. We pull up in the parking lot and either pop our trunks, pull up our hatches, or trade out of the back of a truck. Most people prearrange trades using their exchange pages. Some people bring extras to trade or give away. That is entirely up to the traders there. I always have someone ask me about buying plants. That is totally between the traders. It is a one on one deal, but most are just there to trade.

Since you do not have much in the way of plants to offer, you might think of what you have extra around the house. I have traded in the past for newspapers for mulching, sand, crafts, educational items, puppets, jewelry, pots, canned goods, tags, magazines, etc... Go to your exchange list and just list everything that you can think of that you might have to offer. Someone might just need that very thing!

I hope to see you there,
    Deb

• tsmith2579
    18 years ago

So you don't think you have much to trade? How about a garbage sack full of chicken manure, cow manure, rabbit manure or compost? Do you have rooted yellow bell forsythias, sedums, ferns or how about native plants you dig from your yard, like oakleaf hydrangeas? Do you have stacks of black plastic flower pots? There are all types of gardening things you can trade. I hope we see you there.

• bcb77
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Great info! Before this post I never even knew there was an "Exchange" page! LOL

Thanks everyone. I will see you at the swap.

• mobileponder
    17 years ago

Where and when is this trading taking place? It sounds like a great time.

Gary

• pfllh
    17 years ago

Gary, the swap is May 20th at 10am in Birmingham at Oak Mountain. On the Exchange page is the info as to directions and our "pot luck" lunch.
    After reading the posts, if you have any questions, just post and you'll probably get several replys. We're a good bunch up here and everyone has always been generous and openly welcomed new people.
    Come on up and have a great time.
    Lynn

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH