Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
colabama

ginger lilies

colabama
14 years ago

hi everyone,has anyone seen ginger lilies coming back yet or is it too soon ? my concern is that we have had an unusually wet,cold winter and i hope mine are alive. thank you for your response

Comments (14)

• catbird
    14 years ago

Mine aren't up yet either, but I'd be surprised if they're all dead. What part of the state are you in? I'm in NE AL, so things tend to be a little later here.

• daffodillady
    14 years ago

I am still waiting on mine as well, but daily I find things peeking out, so I have not given up on them or the missing cannas. So far I have only lost a couple of crinum for sure.

• catbird
    14 years ago

I was outside this afternoon and noticed a couple of green ginger shoots peeking through. Guess they've decided winter really is over. ;-)

• fernaly
    14 years ago

My hedychiums are several inches high but my curcums and shampoo gingers are not peeking out yet.

• colabama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

hi everyone,thank you for all your kind responses. dear catbird,i am in birmingham and haven't seen even a peek yet.they smell so fantastic,maybe they're just a little slow coming back ( i hope)

• User
    14 years ago

And I'm in Mobile! Neither have I seen a sign of the numerous gingers that I have. But the wild stuff, it is up and growing nicely around my tiny pond.

Am I the only Mobile poster? Where did everyone go?

• swjonthebay
    13 years ago

I'm near Mobile too and here but just not very often :)

No ginger lilles but my friend who has some told me last week hers were coming up.

• alabugtamer
    13 years ago

My gingers are up about 2 inches. No sign of Canna yet...

• plantfriend
    13 years ago

I'm over on the Eastern Shore, and some of my Gingers are up quite a few inches but not the pinecone gingers, they're usually a little later. My Cannas are up also. The asparagus fern is coming back as well. Hope your plants are beginning to show their heads soon.

• colabama
    Original Author
    13 years ago

i would like to take this opportunity to say thank you for all your kind responses.so far,i don't see my gingers. but again,it's very cool here again. oh well..........

• fairietaleorchids101
    13 years ago

Hey Mobile & Eastern Shore.... I have about 15 different gingers already out of dormancy. Curcumas, Hedychiums, Costus, and Kaempferias. The Globbas & Zingibers are my only types that are still dormant. I am scheduled to do a WorkShop on Gingers at Bellingrath Gardens on 7/14/10. I have lots of other tropical plants that I am in need to get rid of: Irises, Bananas (Copper Ornamental & Bordelon), Day Lilies, Toad Lilies, Kerria japonica, Crinums (10-15 types), Zephyranthus, Salvias, Elephant Ears (Xanthosomas, Alocasias & Colocasias), Dwarf Papyrus, Blood Lilies, Passifloras, Gloriosa Lilies, Persicaria, Southern Fern, Cannas, Clerodendrons, the list goes on & on. FTO

• User
    13 years ago

How about this for a swift comeback?
    {{gwi:361510}}

My Phaesion and Praetoria/Bengal Tiger lilies are also up and doing fine.The asparagus fern is doing much better also.

• scandia
    13 years ago

I am in Huntsville..Mine have been up since late April..They are growing very slowly though..I covered them with 10 inches of mulch when it went down to 20 here..I hope yours come back..

• colabama
    Original Author
    13 years ago

FINALLY,i see 1 ginger lily peeking out.it is such a nice surprise....