Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tsmith2579

Best Sale Ever @ Bham Bot Gardens

tsmith2579
17 years ago

Sylvia and I went to Brookwood Mall (inside at old Vincent's Mkt) to the Birmingham Botanical Gardens sale. I believe it is the best ever. They have the largest selection of trees and shrubs ever. I bought a native plum leaf azalea (think Calloway Gardens)for $12 and a native Flame azalea for $10. We also bought a Frank Gladney daylily, hot coral & cerise. They have several types of bananas, lots & lots of ferns, the best ever. Don't let year's sale get away without a visit.

Comments (6)

• john_trussville
    17 years ago

I agree Terry. I ran in for just a few minutes this morning and grabbed a Skinner's banana shrub & a Eucalyptus neglecta, two plants you rarely see for sale around here. Will probably go back again tomorrow morning when I'll have more time to browse.

• alabamajan
    17 years ago

So let me get this straight....the sale is NOT at the Botanical Gardens....correct? It IS at the old Vincents Market place over there by Brookwood Mall?

Thanks....jan

• tsmith2579
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Jan, you are absolutely correct. The sale has not been at the Gardens for the last two years. I don't know the full details about why. Gary Gerlach, the former Gardens director retired about 2 1/2 years ago. Shortly after the new director took over, there was an article in the Bham News stating there was some sort of rift between the new gardens director and the Botanical Assoc and the Botanical Auxiliary. I don't know why, since the Assoc and Aux have contributed millions of dollars to the Gardens and untold volunteer hours. Perhaps it is time for the Botanical Society and Auxiliary to take over the Gardens like the non-profit Alabama Zoological Society has taken over management of the zoo. The zoo had gone down, down, down over the years. The zoo group has made lots of upgrades to the zoo and just today are opening a bug butterfly center.

If you are coming from west, south or east Alabama, take I-459 to Hwy 280/Mt. Brook exit. Turn right and go about past the Water Works plant. Near the bottom of the hill is AL Hwy 149. Take the ramp and then turn left. Go to the far end of the mall and turn left. From north Alabama, take I-65 to Malfunction Junction (I-65/20/59 interchange) to I-20/59 north. Turn right at the Civic Center onto Hwy 280/Stephens/Red Mtn Expressway. After going through the mountain cut, take the Hwy 280 (right) exit and follw approx. 1 mile to Hwy 149. Turn right at the bottom of the ramp.

• john_trussville
    17 years ago

The only reason I've heard for the sale being moved is for lack of parking at the BBG. The large tents erected in the parking area for the sale made the lack of space even more critical. But maybe there were other issues as well.

• caroleena
    17 years ago

we came up from ozark to the BBG sale- have for the past 3 years. its MUCH better this year in the old store.....parking okay, a little crowded inside but a great selection of plants. got several things i'd been looking for.

• patricianat
    17 years ago

I thought it was still at the Gardens and every year I went it was horrific as far as parking and plants having all disappeared by the time I arrived.

I will try to get there next year. Now I am mad at myself for not going this time.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville