Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bellamom_gw

Hi there...moving to Huntsville area???

bellamom
11 years ago

Hi there... I may be moving to the Huntsville area. I like the looks of a lot of the area...Toney...Arab...etc...I am hoping to get a clerical job, and buy a home where I can garden. I am moving from southern Missouri. I am a major flower gardener and grow tomatoes, peppers, squash and Asparagus. I want to grow Hostas, daylilies and other Perennials to make a basic cottage type garden. So...will I have a longer growing season in AL??? and can I grow these things there??? Thanks, Kathy

Comments (6)

• alabamanicole
    11 years ago

All that stuff grows great here if you have the right sun or shade for them. Most of north AL is 7b although there are some 7a spots. Overall I think we are a smidge warmer than Missouri. If you have cuttings and starts to bring with you, most everything will probably do fine.

If we can help you out with anything like "how long does it take to drive..." and other relocation questions, please let us know. I moved here 7 years ago and this is a pretty good place to settle down and enjoy life.

• bellamom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks!!! It looks like there are some Garden clubs around. I love my Garden Club!!! It was the best way to meet new Gardeners, and make friends!!!
    Kathy

• outsideplaying_gw
    11 years ago

Hi Kathy. I've lived around here all my life. Grew up in Guntersville. My Dad grew up in Arab and we raised our kids in Huntsville. We now live on a little 'farmette' in Laceys Spring. Nicole and I haven't 'met' but we've corresponded here and on another garden forum quite often. She is correct, a lot of your things will do fine. The only thing you might need to get accustomed to here is the heavy clay soil, but it too can be dealt with. You can grow any of the things you mention, but asparagus has a much shorter growing season here, depending on the weather we have in the spring. You can basically plan your cottage garden around perennials that start blooming in early spring and bloom thru the fall and have something going almost all year. Pansies, for example can be planted in the fall for color and then will bloom again in spring til they die.

Let us know if we can help with other questions.

• kay1150
    10 years ago

I too will be relocating this month to the area. Will my iris/tulips do well there?

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Iris will do fine but tulips are not a southern plant. You can plant tulips in the fall and they will come up in the spring....once.

There will be a learning curve, horticulturally speaking, but it will be fun.

• alabamanicole
    10 years ago

Some tulips will return in the northern part of the state.

Sponsored