Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
colabama

hummingbird sighting

colabama
19 years ago

has anyone seen hummingbirds in birmingham yet? when should i put up my feeder? thanks

Comments (19)

• bluebird_AU
    19 years ago

We've had them in Auburn for about 2 weeks now so you should start seeing some very soon if you have a feeder up.

• meadow_lark
    19 years ago

I have 3 feeders up, but I have seen one yet! (I'm way up in Huntsville, so maybe they haven't gotten up here...)

Meadow Lark

• terramadre
    19 years ago

They showed up in east central AL on March 27.

• shaybass
    19 years ago

We live in West Central Alabama and we've had them for a couple of weeks. I have one that chirps at me when one of the feedsrs is empty.

Sharon

• Virginia_Yard_Girl
    19 years ago

They hit Dothan March 22 and are still buzzin' our heads daily!

• colabama
    Original Author
    19 years ago

thnks everyone for all your good information! i'm going to hang my feeder up now.

• BDnBAMA
    19 years ago

I am in St Clair Co & have had hummers since last week. I am just East of Bham. Betty

• moore4fam_al
    19 years ago

I spotted my first one last week... put a couple of feeders out, and now have at least three....In Sylacauga, just south of Bham. Good Luck. MM

• southern
    19 years ago

talladega county, spotted my first one april 6. probably was here before then, but that's when i saw it at the feeder.

• JACK_Schwend
    19 years ago

8 Apr in Oxford. I had two at my feeders.

Jack

• bama35640
    19 years ago

Finally put the feeders out Friday and they were attacking them in Morgan County.

Bob

• meadow_lark
    19 years ago

Yep, Yep, Yep! Finally - on Saturday!

SPRING HAS SPRUNG!

Meadow Lark

• mimidi
    19 years ago

My first one was on March 15 one week earlier that last year. I was waiting for him. Had the window shade up and my camera ready.
    {{gwi:361923}}

• Kristin_1902
    19 years ago

I saw one in Tuscaloosa this weekend.

• brandy_legrand_gmail_com
    15 years ago

I am in Huntsville too and my neighbor saw ONE yesterday...I put out the feeders but I haven't seen ANY...I hope that they come back :)

• sinai
    15 years ago

They've been coming to my feeders for 3 weeks now but I planted a hummingbird island of sorts and the some of the plants are flowering now and hummers are all over them......well about 7 or 8 sometimes but that's a lot for me, usually I see them in ones and twos......The most visited so far is the 'Hot Lips' salvia microphylla, the Huskers red beard tongue is just about to pop any day now....Other plants in the island are Bee Balm 'Jacob Cline', cardinal flower native and 'Queen Victoria', tall verbena bonasaris, Mexcican Petunia (I'm watching it like a hawk), Lady In Red Salvia and 'Scarlet Spires' salvia...First year trying the Scarlet Spires, anyone else growing that?

Here's picture of the hummingbird island:

Here is a link that might be useful: Hummingbird Island

• pamabama
    15 years ago

I love your hummingbird island! Thanks for posting the pictures. I recently moved down south from northern Illinois, so I am learning a lot. I was told that a metal trellis was not a good idea for down south, because it heats up too much and burns the plants. Is your trellis metal and if so do you have any problem with it getting too hot?

• PRO
    Victoria Pitsinger
    8 years ago

Saw one in Huntsville today and rushed to put my feeder up hope to see him again in the morning

• madabouteu
    8 years ago

I have not seen one but have evidence - lots of seed pods developing on my Kniphofia!

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County