Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fire ants..

Posted by Desirai 7B (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 14:20

I built a brand new flower bed this year.. planted some bulbs and other things in it...

Now fire ants are taking it over.. there's thousands of them crawling over the soil and building nests in it and around it.. i put down poison, but the ants just move to the other side of it.

I hate fire ants and I wish they would go extinct. I hate them. :( please help, how can I get rid of them if poison isn't??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fire ants..

One dose does not necessarily do the job, nor is there necessarily just one colony there. Keep applying.

o

• Posted by jcalhoun 8b Mobile County AL (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 23:27

What poison are you using?

o

In another forum, I suggested that she put down the other pesticides and purchase some Amdro Fire Ant Bait granules. Fire ants are very difficult to kill without using a sneaky bait.....their nesting chambers are very convoluted and lengthy, making typical contact poisons very inefficient.

Amdro, when applied according to the directions, will be taken deep into the nest and eventually fed to the whole colony, including the larvae and the queen. The demise of the colony will usually come in a few days.....as long as the directions are followed.

Don't disturb the nest before or after the application of the bait or the whole population will pack up and move elsewhere....and not very far away. We want them to remain calm enough to take the bait and methodically distribute it.

o

I use the Spectracide Fire Ant bait and Terro Liquid Ant bait (and there are many other brands of granule bait or liquid bait). The first is when I know where the ant mound is. I will pour it in and around the mound.

The second is when it is indoors or when I don't know where the ants are coming from, but I see their marching line.

Both have been effective in removing the ants or killing them from the general vicinity, but I think the other ant baits have a similar active ingredient, so give one of them a try.

o

Thanks Rhizo :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here