Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
something new, something blue

Posted by jeff_al 8 AL (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 9, 14 at 14:23

Mertensia virginica photo 100_0316_zps3b3ba8d3.jpg Virginia bluebells photo 100_0334_zps0f360835.jpg
first successful attempt to grow virginia bluebells after 2 or 3 failures. every piece i have planted in the ground has either not emerged or only came up once but never flowered. last year, i ordered and planted 4; two in the ground and two in containers (concrete planters with good potting soil). the container plants, esp. this one, look healthy (for now). i know they don't remain visible for very long before doing dormant but they sure are pretty while they last. they must be very persnickety about the site conditions and moisture may be the key. i have other plants in the containers that i keep well watered all growing season. i have never come across this plant growing in natural areas and the best description i have heard that fits is "uncommon except where locally abundant". if they are in a site that meets their needs, they will flousish. anybody have advise for growing tips that they can share?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: something new, something blue

In nature, they generally occur in sheltered woodland hollows with rich, deep humic soil, which typically stay moist but not wet most of the year. Here, that's generally in the Appalachian ridge areas of the northeast part of the state.

o
RE: something new, something blue

thanks.
i was hoping for a reply from someone who cultivates them as a garden plant rather than container specimen. i think i may be too far south for them to naturalize in the surrounding woods. the soil under these deciduous trees is a well-drained sandy loam and has winter and spring wet conditions but probably too dry there during summer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here