Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
herc0923

Starting from scratch?

herc0923
17 years ago

I have read a bit here, but am feeling overwhelmed! I am in Montgomery. i live in a house built in 1941 that has had very little done to it as far as landscaping in that time. The front yard is full of weeds. I turned over some soil for flower beds in the fall, but didn't get them laid in before fall, and now they are literally overgrown with weeds-- you can't even tell where they were. Clover seems to be the biggest culprit as far as I can tell. I am ready to try and get the beds going again, but want to know first what I can do to help control the weeds-- Is there something that will kill the clover and not other things? What can I do oto solve this problem? I need to get the clover out of the grass as well, so any advice on that would be great.

ok, secondly, I need advice on learning HOW to get started? How do I know if the soil will work, or if it needs amending? How do I know what to plant? How can I do this on a budget? I need a crash course in grdening! Are there places that I can go to learn, web sites? Books? The front yard is almost completely full sun. The back yard is almost completely full shade-- sopme areas are more like partial. The perimeter of the yard is completely ringed in trees, and some areas are almost more like the floor of a forest than a yard!

I know I am asking for a ton of info, and honestly, I appreciate any that you can spare! LOL

heather

Comments (8)

• loveofmylife680
    17 years ago

Heather, Does the bed you are working on get a lot of sun if so try daylilies they are so easy to grow and so pretty. Check out the dayliy forum and the pic you will get addicted just like I am. List what style of garden you want is your house formal or what style is it? Alot of nice people here can help you but might need a little more info.
    Jill

• terramadre
    17 years ago

Heather,
    IMO, having clover in the lawn is not a bad thing. Click on the link to find out why.

Contact your local Extension Office about publications and having your soil tested.

• loveofmylife680
    17 years ago

Like that one.
    Jill

• herc0923
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I do know that some clover is not bad-- my lawn is probably 70 percent clover. From doing a little reading it looks like I don't necessarily have to kill the clover in the lawn, but feed the grass that is there and get it to spread more. Still not sure what to do about it in the areas that I carved out for beds-- they are literally full, and I am not sure if tilling them again would help, or if it would just be back again in a few months? WOuld putting down mulch or leaves or anything discourage that heavily? The areas are large fo the beds, and that may be a difficult propostition. The one across the front I think I am jsut going to make a hedge of some sort. We live on a very busy road and I need to create a bit of a barrier between us and it. Any ideas for something fast growing that is relatively inexpensive? Thinking I want 3-4 ft high?? People throw things out their window tha land in my yard, and I want something that will help serve as a break between the road and me.

Next, I have a large bed and then a slightly smaller one that is beside the front door. One of them has a nice little rose bush in it-- thats pretty much the only thing I want to keep. The other has some monke ygrass that I am trying my dest to get rid of. I am going to dig it up ONE more time before resorting to roundup. The house is basially a ranch style. We are in the Cloverdale/south Hull area. Hose ais about 2100 sq feet. Trees are on each corner of the house, so the beds will get a smidge of shade when the sun is behind the house, but not much. Trees are an oak and a cedar if that matters. The house was built in 41 as an adobe house with a flat roof (our house is built of adobe block and the walls are abt 2.5-3 ft thick). It was remodeled in 64, and they bricked over it and gabled the roof.

Ok the only pics I have to even give you an idea of color are when our house got hit by a truck 2 yrs ago-- this was when they first started unbricking it. The shrub is gone--- cut off at the ground and it didn't come back. (They cut it to do the work to the house.)
    http://www.colemanhouse.info/wordpress/wp-content/images/afar.jpg

• terramadre
    17 years ago

Heather,
    It would be easier for us to suggest something if you were to address one area or topic at a time.
    For instance, how to prepare an area for planting (foundation planting).
    What shrubs to use along the road, etc.

{{gwi:362006}}

• herc0923
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I do know that some clover is not bad-- my lawn is probably 70 percent clover. From doing a little reading it looks like I don't necessarily have to kill the clover in the lawn, but feed the grass that is there and get it to spread more. Still not sure what to do about it in the areas that I carved out for beds-- they are literally full, and I am not sure if tilling them again would help, or if it would just be back again in a few months? WOuld putting down mulch or leaves or anything discourage that heavily? The areas are large fo the beds, and that may be a difficult propostition. The one across the front I think I am jsut going to make a hedge of some sort. We live on a very busy road and I need to create a bit of a barrier between us and it. Any ideas for something fast growing that is relatively inexpensive? Thinking I want 3-4 ft high?? People throw things out their window tha land in my yard, and I want something that will help serve as a break between the road and me.

Next, I have a large bed and then a slightly smaller one that is beside the front door. One of them has a nice little rose bush in it-- thats pretty much the only thing I want to keep. The other has some monke ygrass that I am trying my dest to get rid of. I am going to dig it up ONE more time before resorting to roundup. The house is basially a ranch style. We are in the Cloverdale/south Hull area. Hose ais about 2100 sq feet. Trees are on each corner of the house, so the beds will get a smidge of shade when the sun is behind the house, but not much. Trees are an oak and a cedar if that matters. The house was built in 41 as an adobe house with a flat roof (our house is built of adobe block and the walls are abt 2.5-3 ft thick). It was remodeled in 64, and they bricked over it and gabled the roof.

Ok the only pics I have to even give you an idea of color are when our house got hit by a truck 2 yrs ago-- this was when they first started unbricking it. The shrub is gone--- cut off at the ground and it didn't come back. (They cut it to do the work to the house.)
    http://www.colemanhouse.info/wordpress/wp-content/images/afar.jpg

• roseyp8255
    17 years ago

Heather - what are you gonna do with those bricks? I can come get them if you don't want them, I work in Montgomery! :)

Also - should you decide you want some gardenias, i have tons of them already potted. They will do well in shade or full sun, but if you plant them now, you will have to keep them watered during hte drought (fall is best time to plant - like November - January here in our area).

I will be dividing plants this summer and potting them up, so let me know if you see something of mine that you want. if it is dividable or i can root it, we can do it. (check my link to pics below)

I suggest gettng Southern Living gardening books, etc., for good pics - or some of the special interest publications that are on the shelves now (Beds and borders, etc.)

For a fast growing hedge by the road - boxwoods would work, but they are boring. Ornamental grasses would work, but they can get REALLY tall. But, they are gorgeous!

Here is a link that might be useful: My plants

• patricianat
    17 years ago

Five words: Sell the brick, lasagna gardening.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH