Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
herc0923

Fast growing shrub for close to the road??

herc0923
16 years ago

Ok, trying to take my long post and break it down a bit! My yard is about 81ft wide and 176 deep Driveway is probably what, 8ft wide and then there is abt a foot and a half on the other side of the drive. So I basically have 70ish ft of road frontage that I need shrubs along. I want them to be fast growing, not necesarily something that needs a ton of maintenence. Something pretty would be a bonus. Probably 5 ft tall max, and 4 ft would probably be even better. Oh and inexpensive would be good :) It is a very busy road, and we need something that will act as a bit of a noise break, as well as to help keep garbage out of our yard.

thanks for your help!

heather

Comments (6)

• tsmith2579
    16 years ago

You didn't say evergreen so I am going to make a few recommendations. First is oakleaf hydrangeas. You can dig then in the woods so they are free. They will grow to about 5-6 ft in the sun and are very bushy and dense. They bloom in May-June and the blooms change color over the season, white, green, pinkish and then brown for the winter. Next I recommend altheas (rose of Sharon, hollyhock tree). They will grow 8 ft tall but can be trimmed to a hedge. Dense and bushy as well. You can get them in pure white, pinks, reds, lavenders, pink-lavender, and lavender-blue, single and double. Buy a few you like (they are cheap) and root as many as you need. Another choice is pampas grass. 6ft, dense, spreading and white plumes in late summer. How about Confederate rose. It dies back in winter so requires some pruning (maintenance, you can use the chainsaw to make quick work of it) but grows back quickly in the spring to about 8-10 ft. A long row of Conf. rose would be impressive. Buy a few and it's easy to root others. Forsythia yellow bells. We have them along our side-street and between our driveway and the neighnor's. Lots of privacy. Buy a few, and root many more by layering. I'm sure others will have good suggestions.

• alabamajan
    16 years ago

I would also like to suggest 'Knock-out' Rose. It is one of my new favorites. It blooms and provides color all summer long. Sometimes even til Oct. or Nov.!!!

It is highly disease resistant. So you really don't have to worry about black spot. It keeps its leaves in the winter. There a very good reason this rose has gotten so popular......And it is used more as a shrub. But a shrub that will give you some AWESOME color.

• tedevore
    16 years ago

I first thought of forsythia too, one of Terry's suggestions. A neighbor of
    mine has a long line of forsythia mixed in with witch hazel, another interesting shrub. Stating in late winter they make an impressive yellow show, and the
    witch hazel texture contrasts nicely with the forsythia--really pretty!

Forsythia is SO easy to root--stick a brach in moist, sandy soil and wait a bit--
    mory plants for free.

• browneyedsusan_gw
    16 years ago

Loropetalum -there are several burgundy varieties that are evergreen and bloom in spring/fall.

Euonymous "Silver king", has beautiful variegated leaves.

Both grow well in sun or shade and require no care. You may have to trim the loropetalum. I let mine keep their natural shape. Buy one and multiply by rooting cuttings.

Susan.

Susan.

• patricianat
    16 years ago

I would suggest eleagnus or lorapetalum. JMHO. Hardy and colorful.

• jeff_al
    16 years ago

glossy abelia might be an option. they bloom until fall. butterflies and bees love the summer flowers.
    if you would not mind doing a little pruning for height, southern wax myrtle could be another possibility. there is a more dwarf form available but not as easy to find as the species.
    neither of these would be expensive shrubs.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm