Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raestr

What is your favorite Uncommon plants that are easy to grow?

I love Colcocasia. I have Black Magic and Illustris. Both grow great in my alkaline clay. I would love to add Nancy's Revenge and Yellow Splash. Please let me know if you see these somewhere locally.

I also love the newer hydrangeas. I have Lady in Red, Lemon Daddy, and a variegated one. These seem to be doing very well right now, but I killed two Oak Leaf Hydrangeas last year. I have ordered Little Honey, but have not received it yet. Please, please, please don't let me kill it!

I also have a variegated gardenia that I picked up at a local garden center last year. So far, it is doing very well, but it is still in a pot. I will plant it in the ground soon. Again, please, please, please don't let me kill it.

So what are your favorite uncommon plants that thrive with little effort?

Rae

Comments (10)

• tsmith2579
    18 years ago

Hi, Rae. Well, I have several E.E.s, alocasias, colocasias and xans which I love. Then there are the Confederate roses which are making a comeback after going out of style. I hae the white and the pink varieties. I also have the single Confederate rose, Rubra, which blooms all summer. I used to think these were grandmother plants but as I get older, I've come to respect, love and seek them. Maybe it's because I'm a grandpa.

• ourhighlandhome
    18 years ago

Fatsia japonica for shade, Tetrapanax papyriferus for sun (this one is perhaps too easy, if you know what I mean). LOL!

Nelson

• loveofmylife680
    18 years ago

I agree Nelson I love my 3 I bought from hazels. Did some research on them they can get big or you can prune them to keep small. Such a different plant. Fatsia japonica.
    Jill

• kabby_z8
    18 years ago

I have a strawberry begonia(saxifraga stolinifera?) that was originally a house plant but I now have it in a partial shade bed. It's a great ground cover and overwinters. It sends out runners like a strawberry plant.
    AND I have sea oats in my flower beds. These did not come from the coast! I live on the Alabama River and in '90 we had a major major flood. All these plants have reseeded themselves along the dirt road in the undeveloped ares.
    I also love my hedychium gingers!

• fernaly
    18 years ago

I absolutely love my gingers and my angel trumpets , my EE's, my crinums, my peruvian daffodils. I love my alstromeria and my cry baby tree.

• outsideplaying_gw
    18 years ago

I have a small clump of Blackberry Lily that I like, probably because I salvaged it off our property. It was growing under a dogwood tree near the barn, and the whole area had almost become overgrown with honeysuckle and poison ivy. Yes, I paid for cleaning all that junk out of there with a bit of poison ivy rash, but managed to transplant the BL to a bed near the house and it's done quite well.

• lgkovalcik
    18 years ago

Don't know how uncommon they are, but Helleborus x hybrids (Lenten Rose) grow amazingly well for me. Beautiful year round in northern AL, they are just about the perfect shade tolerant plant.

Laura

• debbido
    18 years ago

I love all of our native plants. They are disappearing in the wild but thriving in my yard. I try to do plant rescues when possible from new development areas. It is so funny that these plants grow naturally locally, and no one knows what they are.

Deb

• raestr (z8 Central Ala)
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Tell us what we are missing Deb. Make us want them! I love discovering 'new' plants.

Rae

• debbido
    18 years ago

I don't know if I could list them all. Off the top of my head, the native plants that I have:
    Azalea
    Beauty Berry
    Dogwoods
    Downy Phlox
    Trillium Cuneatum
    Trillium Decumbens
    Trillium Erectum
    Solomon's Seal
    Bluet
    Bloodroot
    Mayapples
    Columbine