Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I plant a clematis next to the south side facing house?

Posted by lmhall2000 AL (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 5, 08 at 17:25

I've got a cedar trellis that I just moved from our other home, I'm having a hard time finding a spot to plant a clematis...the front of my house faces due north and has large oak trees...the side facing west has a Bradford pear that will give some shade and the east facing side already has some roses. Will a clematis get enough sun if it's planted against the south side of the house? Right now, that area is getting full sun pretty much but I know in the summer the sun shines on the northern side v. a southern trek...has anyone had good luck planting a clematis on a southern facing side of the house?

Also, while I've got your green thumb attention...we just moved to a farm that only has boxwoods and nandina's, 5 azaleas on one side and I think one holly in a corner...I've been planting all my planters and I'm trying to think of plants that would make good foundation accents...I got 3 gallons of phlox I'm putting in the ground and a flowering viburnum to put in a corner...on the front entrance I'm going to try some of those bulb perennials that take shade..not coleus but can't think of the name of it, very common summer perennial..ugh..I'd really like color or variation of foliage to break up the solid row of boxwoods...I'll see if I can post a picture

[IMG]http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z306/ma23peas/IMG_2118.jpg[/IMG]

I hope that works...

Thanks so much!
Tara in North Alabama

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I plant a clematis next to the south side facing house?

Photobucket

Is this it?
Thanks!
Tara

o
RE: Can I plant a clematis next to the south side facing house?

what about hosta in front of the boxwoods? It has lots of variations & low maintenance. I know it's not too exciting, but is very pretty. Also, I have a clematis on the south side of our house & it does great--it's going on year 3.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here