Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peggy_bishop_mcvay

What is this green 'thing'?

Peggy Bishop_McVay
14 years ago

I inherited this plant from my mother who died several years ago. I have no idea what it is called or the proper name. I do know it only grows well in full shade and likes to be dropped on the ground not planted in the dirt. Any idea what this is...

{{gwi:362338}}

Comments (14)

• tsmith2579
    14 years ago

It looks like some sort of amaryllis or crinum lily. It is hard to tell from a picture alone. The leaves don't appear to be leathery enough or green enough for amaryllis so I put my money on some type of crinum.

• browneyedsusan_gw
    14 years ago

I agree with Terry-it's probably a crinum. Does it grow from a bulb? It may flower if it got some sun.
    Susan

• idig
    14 years ago

Hey Littlehelper, try putting it on the Name That Plant forum too.

Susan and Terry, this is my neighbor's plant. The leaves are very thick, more like amaryllus than any crinum I've seen. Some of it is a sunny enough place to bloom or at least try to. I have never seen it even try. I'll see if I can bring some, or bring my neighbor to bring some to the swap and get some in person opinions!

Littlehelper, copy and paste this in your address bar, i can't get this thing to accept a link for some reason tonight....http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/namegal/

Shana

• browneyedsusan_gw
    14 years ago

I agree with Terry-it's probably a crinum. However there are other passalong plants with similar leaves such as Hymenocallis and Eucomis.
    Susan

• idig
    14 years ago

Do some crinums have really thick leaves?

I'll check with my neighbor but if I'm not mistaken these that she has in sun lose color and have scald spots. I have been watching them with her for a couple of years because I honestly didn't believe they wouldn't bloom, but have never seen one even try o bloom. This one has me stumped. I've been bugging her to put the plant on here to try and find out what it is :-)

• Iris GW
    14 years ago

It doesn't look quite right, but could it be Cast Iron Plant? Does it keep it's leaves all winter?

• idig
    14 years ago

It isn't a cast iron plant, I am familiar with those. I will try and go down the street after work and take some more pictures, more close up of the leaves. Thanks for coming over and trying to help esh_ga.

• Peggy Bishop_McVay
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No it isn't a cast iron plant. Yes it stays green all winter. It does have a small greenish white pine cone shaped (but not the same texture, soft not woody) bloom. It is very short and almost hidden in the leaves. Sorry, no bloom right now. there isn't anything showy or flashy about this plant but it is a fantastic standard. It keeps the water from washing everything away and it seems to love the shade. As idig said on an earlier post, when I dropped them up in the sun they didn't grow well. they even lost the deep green color to a wash out green.

• Peggy Bishop_McVay
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh, and it is not a bulb. It has feeler type roots. I will check on it in the morning and post photos... thanks again, Peggy

• Peggy Bishop_McVay
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks to the name it forum--- my green thing has a name ===rohdea japonica----http://www.ca.uky.edu/HLA/Dunwell/Rohdeajaponica.html--- this site says it is a rare lily--- well they haven't seen my yard... thank you all for your wisdom Peggy

• tweetypye
    14 years ago

Well, ain't that something? Glad you finally found out exactly what it is...now, how bout bringing some of it to the Plant Swap since it's so prolific in your garden? :)
    Jan

• Peggy Bishop_McVay
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I will be happy to bring some to the swap. If you want some please e-mail me and let me know.

• birdlady_10
    14 years ago

I'd like some of it.Please check my page & see if I have anything you'd like Jan

• michelleswonders
    14 years ago

I would love some. Check my page as well and see if there is anything you like. I may have something not listed.

Michelle