Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tree needs help!

Posted by blamb2006 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 19, 09 at 17:49

Hello all,
I am located in central alabama and I have a problem with a tree located in my back yard, a beautiful 35 ft oak tree, of which variety I'm not sure. It has gotten for lack of a better term, blisters on top of all the leaves and on the bottom of the leaves
it has a white milky substance. The leaves look terrible and I would hate to loose this tree as it is the only one that provides any shade to the back yard.
Does anybody have any clue as to what might be happening?
Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tree needs help!

I would suggest taking a small branch to your County Agent. If he/she can't help, you can look in the phone book for a certified arborist. Don't ask a landscaper because many of them will tell you to top the tree which is the worst thing you can do. Good luck - oaks are to be treasured. Linda

o

Would it be possible for you to take pictures of this ailment? I'm suspecting a somewhat common fungal disorder called (oddly enough!) Oak Leaf Blister. It's not fatal, but can sure affect the appearance of a lovely tree.

I'd very much like to see images, as there are other possibilities, as well. Proper diagnosis is key to making the right next step. Don't let anyone do any 'cutting' or pesticide applications until you are certain of a diagnosis.

o

Thank you for the response!
Rhizo, I keyed in images of oak leaf blister and any one of the images could be seen on my tree, It seems that would have to be it, with the exception of the white areas under the leaf. And sorry, I dont have a way of posting a picture
Thank you again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here