Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
keith_m_gw

oak leaf hydrangea

keith_m
19 years ago

I have some native oak leaf hydrangea growing in the woods on our property. I would like to transplat them closer to my house.

Is it OK to transplant them this time of year? If so, how do I go about doing it? Do I need to cut it back? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments (12)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    19 years ago

Best to transplant when they are dormant in the winter. However, if you purchase one already in a container, you can plant tomorrow.

The 'adopted' plant has a much higher chance of success than the native transplant, unless you have done your planning and site preparation very well.

• eken9966
    19 years ago

I have had limited success in the past by cutting the plant back to 6 inches from the base and digging carefully to get as many roots as possible.

Oak leaf hydrangeas seem to resent being transplanted. Maybe you could leave it for now, but mark it with a red flag, and come back in the winter to dig the plant just as rhizo has suggested.

• topsiebeezelbub
    19 years ago

Guess I didn't know that they are hard to transplant; I've moved them at all times of the year with no problems or pruning...be sure to water well.

• keith_m
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for the responses. I have lots of them in our woods so I may try a couple to see how they do. Thanks again.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    19 years ago

Personally I like to move things when I have the time to water them. I find that I don't like going outside much in November to water, yet it can be dry. Of course it's not hot but my plants do better in the spring and summer when I can watch after them daily.

• BDnBAMA
    19 years ago

I dug up 4 in the woods last week & planted them & they are fine. They will wither but keep watered & they will usually recover. Last year this time, I transplanted 5 & only lost one. Just remember to keep them watered well until they set their roots good. Betty

• laramie38
    18 years ago

I've had good success transplanting them at this time of year. But, I do agree that late fall or late winter is the best time to transplant them.

My recipe for success has been to transplant small plants, do it just as you are going to get a day or so of rain, try to move as much soil and root with the plant as possible, and mulch them heavy with rotted saw dust/ pine bark/ and or peat moss.

• QueenBee1
    18 years ago

my friend dug one up and gave me last week. we planted it and watered it really good and it looks really great- no wilt at all.

• woodtracy
    18 years ago

My mother and I have dug them at all times of the year. We even rescued some in July from a site that was going to be cleared. They have almost all survived and thrived. We just always made sure to water them morning and night for a few weeks until they got established.

• whippet_lovers
    15 years ago

Hey Keith m! If you have lots, perhaps I can buy some? I got some at a flea market. NO clue what species, or are all Oak leafs the same? I am in Michigan. Apparently I planted them in a good spot, cause they are growing like weeds... Which leads to my next question... Do they bloom?? I just loved the look of the leaves, but when I found out it was a hydrangea, I was so surprized!

• jeff_al
    15 years ago

don't know if keith is still posting as this thread is 3 years old but the plant's botanical name is hydrangea quercifolia with the species name in reference to the oak genus, quercus.
    in my opinion, they are one of our finest native shrubs and are beautiful when in bloom.
    hardiness is given as marginal for zone 5 so you may not get flowers due to winter kill of the branches. how long have you had your plants? they are in full bloom in my area now.

Here is a link that might be useful: oakleaf hydrangea info

• Bamateacha
    15 years ago

All of these were dug up from my husband's mother's home in Florida and brought to our home. They all lived. We just get a few whenever we visit her home. It's never been a problem to transplant.
    {{gwi:362385}}