Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
telly2_gw

B'ham Botanical Gardens plant sale next weekend...

telly2
15 years ago

This sale was advertised in the Birmingham News, to be held at the Bontanical Gardens on April 17 thru April 19. I don't know if this is an annual event or not, but my mouth watered when I read that more than 85,000 plants will be for sale ! Has anyone been to this before, and if so, is this something not to miss ?

Comments (10)

• idig
    15 years ago

You will pay for what you get, but will likely find things you haven't seen for sale before. I had planned to go, but will be out of town.

I have two $5 off coupons if anyone is going and interested just email me your mailing address and I will send one to the first two emails I get.

• john_trussville
    15 years ago

For the past couple of years now the sale has been at the former BrunoÂs supermarket next to Colonial Brookwood Village on Lakeshore Drive between Highways 31 and 280.

It's a spring event that I wouldn't miss. Thousands of plants VERY reasonably priced. But go on friday if you can for the best selection. I'm in line every year when the doors open.

By Sunday there's not much left, but most everything is marked down a little by then....so you can definitely get some bargains.

Here is a link that might be useful: BBG Spring Plant Sale

• telly2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, john trussville. The paper gave the BBG address on Lane Park Road as the address for the sale, so if you hadn't posted I probably wouldn't have known it was elsewhere... Also, are there carts available for use ?

• idig
    15 years ago

OOKKK, well it has been years since I've been. It was pricey last time I went, maybe not so much anymore....

• john_trussville
    15 years ago

telly2...yes there are shopping carts, and plenty of BBG volunteers to help you load all your purchases, if needed. It's a well organized event.

but get there early on friday if you can.

• telly2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It sounds wonderful...I think I'll take john trussville's advice & go early on Friday.
    John trussville - thanks again for correct info.

• idig
    15 years ago

Coupons are promised and I'll stick them in the mail from the office on Monday. I hope you guys find lots of great things!

• tsmith2579
    15 years ago

I usually take a day off so my wife and I can go to the sale. I don't think the items are outrageously high priced unless you are comparing them to WalMart, Lowe's or Home Depot. The prices are comparable to local top-of-the-line nurseries. The BIG plus is they usually have a lot of stuff you won't see at the local nurseries. The Day lily Society will be there with lots of show quality day lilies. The same goes for the herbs, dahlias, Hosts, wildflowers and other flower societies. It is worth the trip.

• red50
    15 years ago

My husband & I are planning to be there first thing Friday morning too. He goes to the book store & I shop for plants. Last year I got a couple of Iris, Peony 'Sarah Bernhardt', Chaenomeles 'Cameo', & a couple of native azaleas which died because I put the pots under the big oak tree and forgot to water them. All total I spend about $40. I still want the native azaleas. Guess I need to make a shopping list of desired plants. We are big on lists these days, due to gas prices, we try to limit traveling, also we are getting a bit older.
    There is so much variety at this sale, it is worth the trip.
    Joyce

• telly2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just wanted to let others know that I went this morning, and my oh my, it was sheer heaven ! There were so many things there, it was almost overwhelming...well worth going. It just made my week ! Thanks to idig for the coupon...it was like getting one plant for free ! The pricing was not outrageous (comparable to quality nursery prices, as others have said), and the variety of things for sale was outstanding. The organizers/volunteers couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. If you have the chance, by all means go !

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor