Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
apple911

More plant identifications

Apple911
13 years ago

I have a tree that was given to me a couple of years ago, and the lady called it a Pojo tree. I have never heard of it, nor can I find it with google. So I thought I would show you guys a pic of it. Also I have what looks like a random rose bush growing in the woods behind my house, but the flower looks nothing like a rose to me. It's small and white. I have also attached a pic of it. Thank you guys for all of your help!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:362434}}

Comments (15)

• Apple911
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here's the tree pic.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:362435}}

• drippy
    13 years ago

I thought at first your tree might be catalpa, but the leaves don't seem to match the images I saw. The only info I brought up on "pojo tree" seems to be another name for a kind of mung bean.

The white flower pic looks like a wild rose to me.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

The rose looks to be a Multiflora Rose (Rosa multiflora). It is considered invasive in many areas and is listed as an invasive species in Alabama. This rose is not a native plant and has become quite troublesome in certain locations around the country.

The tree is the 'dreaded' Empress Tree (Paulownia tomentosa), most certainly an invasive species in many parts of the country, especially the South.

Are you sorry you asked, lol?

Here is a link that might be useful: Click here for invasive plant lists

• Apple911
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My tree doesn't look anything like the Empress Tree. I googled it and the leaves are totally different. The empress tree doesn't have lobed leaves and mine does. The rose bush is dead on. I googled it, and looks exactly like it. I'm not sorry. I only have 1 of those rose bushes.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    13 years ago

You might ask about your tree on Name That Plant forum. I don't think it's Catalpa or Paulownia. Are you sure it is a tree? Is it taller than it looks in the picture (about 2 ft. tall?)

• browneyedsusan_gw
    13 years ago

I think it may be a tulip tree (Liriodendron tulipifera).

13 years ago

Hold on, I thought I wasn't going to be able to grab it out of my little gray cells, but I did! It's a Chinese Parasol tree, Firmiana simplex. The foliage will become even more dramatic as it matures.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:362436}}

• Apple911
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It definitely looks like the Chinese Parasol tree. Mines about 3 feet tall and the leaves are huge. The lady that gave it to me, her trees were giants. She said they grow really fast. Hoping I can come across some more. Thank you guys for your help!

• Frog_hollow_lady
    13 years ago

I have about 50 in one gallon pots...they are small..two leaves...are you going to the swap?

• Apple911
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am. See if there is anything on my swap page and I will definitely take some off your hands.

• topsiebeezelbub
    12 years ago

Looks like a fig tree to me...did she say if it bloomed or fruited or neither?

• Frog_hollow_lady
    12 years ago

how about a tiger lily..I have some but I can add to mine...

12 years ago

Not a fig, but the Chinese Parasol tree.

Here is a link that might be useful: Firmiana simplex at UAHuntsville

• jeff_al
    12 years ago

just fyi, the chinese parasol tree has been added to the list of invasive species for the southeast.
    from the 2010 publication:
    "distribution. found as escaped plants and small groups more frequently in the coastal states but thoughout the region except in kentucky and north tennessee, with northward spread expected."
    this trait is also noted in the writings in the "performance" section of the link provided by rhizo.

• Apple911
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jody, I will gladly bring you a tiger lily. Hoping everything perks up by the 14th. Some of my plants took a beating in the weather, but they should be ok.