Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bamatufa

recommendation on a tall flowering plant to fill space

Bamatufa
10 years ago

Can anyone recommend a tall flowering plant to fill space as a backdrop along a privacy fence ? 2-3 ' tall with lasting blooms throughout summer. Full to partial sun.I know my local garden shops can recommend but they will push what they have.If there is a best choice I will go looking for it.

Comments (8)

• madabouteu
    10 years ago

Zinnia California Giants. Will start blooming about mid-June if planted in the next week or so.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

I'll suggest a real favorite of mine, Angelonia. This heat and sun loving plant will bloom non stop, without any primping or prodding, up until the first serious frost. The purple one provides a color that really stands out in most gardens.

Plant Angelonia (an jel O nia) at least twelve inches apart; they grow quickly to fill that space and more, and up to two feet tall.

It's much loved by bees and butterflies, and even hummingbirds. No pest or disease problems that I've ever seen, but I don't have an irrigation system which can end up causing problems.

Speaking of which, Angelonia is very drought tolerant once established.

• jeff_al
    10 years ago

'black and blue' salvia guaranitica is perennial and grows to about 3'-4' for me. the flower color is outstanding and is attractive to hummingbirds and butterflies. it won't start flowering until warm weather but will continue until frost, with deadheading. the foliage has an unpleasant odor to me, though.
    available at box store garden centers.

Here is a link that might be useful: salvia 'black and blue'

• Bamatufa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the recommendations!!! I think I will try all of them if I can locate them locally. I will probably hit a few of the garden centers this weekend around B'Ham.Question - is Angelonia the same plant as Snapdragon ? Marvin's Hardware locally has Snapdragon. Same or is Angelonia a different sub - species of Snapdragon that I need to seek out specifically?

• madabouteu
    10 years ago

Angelonia and snapdragon are not the same but are in the same plant family.

• topsiebeezelbub
    10 years ago

Snapdragon is good in cool weather, but the Angelonia can take the heat. I also love all salvias, Agastaches, Nicotianas, and seed grown dahlias, like Bishop's Children....and so many more!

• jcalhoun
    10 years ago

Purple coneflower can get around 3ft as can some of the milkweeds.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Angelonia is sometimes called "Summer Snapdragon " but is unrelated to real snaps.

Sponsored