Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
recommendation on a tall flowering plant to fill space

Posted by bamatufa 7 - Trussville, AL (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 2, 14 at 19:57

Can anyone recommend a tall flowering plant to fill space as a backdrop along a privacy fence ? 2-3 ' tall with lasting blooms throughout summer. Full to partial sun.I know my local garden shops can recommend but they will push what they have.If there is a best choice I will go looking for it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: recommendation on a tall flowering plant to fill space

Zinnia California Giants. Will start blooming about mid-June if planted in the next week or so.

o

I'll suggest a real favorite of mine, Angelonia. This heat and sun loving plant will bloom non stop, without any primping or prodding, up until the first serious frost. The purple one provides a color that really stands out in most gardens.

Plant Angelonia (an jel O nia) at least twelve inches apart; they grow quickly to fill that space and more, and up to two feet tall.

It's much loved by bees and butterflies, and even hummingbirds. No pest or disease problems that I've ever seen, but I don't have an irrigation system which can end up causing problems.

Speaking of which, Angelonia is very drought tolerant once established.

o

'black and blue' salvia guaranitica is perennial and grows to about 3'-4' for me. the flower color is outstanding and is attractive to hummingbirds and butterflies. it won't start flowering until warm weather but will continue until frost, with deadheading. the foliage has an unpleasant odor to me, though.
available at box store garden centers.

Here is a link that might be useful: salvia 'black and blue'

o

Thanks for the recommendations!!! I think I will try all of them if I can locate them locally. I will probably hit a few of the garden centers this weekend around B'Ham.Question - is Angelonia the same plant as Snapdragon ? Marvin's Hardware locally has Snapdragon. Same or is Angelonia a different sub - species of Snapdragon that I need to seek out specifically?

o

Angelonia and snapdragon are not the same but are in the same plant family.

o

Snapdragon is good in cool weather, but the Angelonia can take the heat. I also love all salvias, Agastaches, Nicotianas, and seed grown dahlias, like Bishop's Children....and so many more!

o

• Posted by jcalhoun 8b Mobile County AL (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 5, 14 at 23:20

Purple coneflower can get around 3ft as can some of the milkweeds.

o

Angelonia is sometimes called "Summer Snapdragon " but is unrelated to real snaps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here