Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spider Wort problems - pic

Posted by kandm 8b (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 22, 08 at 20:08

Does anyone else have this weed in their yards?

http://www.math.uiuc.edu/~dan/pictures/1/spiderwort2.jpg
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/201/550956477_a14215afc1.jpg

The flowers are pretty enough but the plant is absolutely invasive, my whole back yard is invested and it grows super fast. Nothing seems to work on it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spider Wort problems - pic

Hi kandm, I'm sorry I don't have any advice to offer on your spiderwort problem. I wasn't even aware it could get invasive and I have several plants in a couple of my beds.

I do have an unrelated question though, can you tell me the name of the amber colored heuchera in the second pic?? Is it that color year-round or only certain times?

Thanks, and I hope someone else here can give you some suggestions. Sincerely, Danielle

o

The tropical spiderwort, Benghal dayflower, Commelina benghalensis L. is on Alabama's list of invasive plant species.
The info at the 2nd link may help you with identifying as to whether or not you have tropical spiderwort.
If you have an infestation of tropical spider wort, you may want to contact your local ACES.

Here is a link that might be useful: tropical spiderwort

o

Sorry, I don't know what the other flower is, I just grabbed a couple of pics of spider wort off google image search to illustrate my post.

I am pretty sure it must be the tropical variety of spider wort, it's all over. The house next door has been vacant for a few months and I can see the same problem in their yard.

o

Does your spiderwort look like this?
Note that the leaves are a lot wider than on e.g. Virginia Spiderwort.

Here is a link that might be useful: 55 other spiderwort

o

No the leaves are not that wide and it is more blue than purple. I think it's probably not the tropical kind, regardless, it is all over, every 3 inches or so. I called ACES and they said they had a similar complaint last week, after doing the research for the other person the woman said the only solution was to pull up the whole plant. Fun!

So now, how do I remove sod lol. Is there a tool I can rent?

o

You may be able to rent a

Here is a link that might be useful: sod cutter

o

Kandm...I too have a problem with spider wart...it's not the kind with the wide leaves either. It's very invasive and does spread itself around alot. I'm constantly digging it out of my beds etc. It also grows in my back lawn. I really don't think a sod cutter will take care of your problem because if you don't get all the roots (an they go pretty deep) it will just come right back. I hate the stuff and the only way I know to get rid of it is to dig it up or kill it with roundup. Good luck with your problem.
Jan

o

I have them everywhere too, and they are some juicy buggers. I get splattered every time I weed-eat them.

o

I think the coral bells is called "Caramel" and it is supposed to stay that color all the time.
Personally, I have a terrible time with invasive plants. I planted obedient plant and I haven't seen it since. Those little wild roses on the side of the road? Mine has been in the ground for 3 years and it is still a little tiny stalk with pitiful leaves. But I have impatiens coming up in the middle of the lawn and in the cracks in the driveway. (They're kinda pretty!)
Maybe I should get you to send me some of your invasive spiderwort!

o

i thought alabamatreehugger was having some of these for a cookout when i misread "juicy burgers". *lol*

o
RE: Spider Wort problems

Spiders wort grows every where here in Ohio.. I dig it trying to get all the roots. This is a never ending job. How do I kill it? I have tried bleach, round up, gas, vinegar, and other weed killers, nothing seems to touch it. Last spring I did dig 6 garbage cans from my beds.. Today I am doing the same thing, this plant is terrible. The deep blue flowers maybe be beautiful to some people but I am so sick of digging this plant, there has to be something that will kill it along with that spreading root system. Please help...

o

Gee, am I the only one who likes spiderwort? I have a clump in my front flower bed and it does not seem to be "invastive" - maybe I should keep a close eye on it!

o

I love it, too, and haven't had a problem with it being invasive, though it does spread. I have pink and blue. They're pretty in the winter and spring, then die down in the summer. Mine happen to be in an area where they can spread quite a bit without causing a problem anyway.

o

I like them too. Little to no care required, fairly drought resistant, reblooming off and all season- what more could you ask for?

o

i gave up the fight long ago. it just goes where it wants. if i could cross it with turnip greens i could feed the world from my yard. we've lived here 20 years and i've decided the old lady we bought it from routinely tossed a handful of marbles in the air and planted something where one hit. stuff just in the most obscure places.... the spiderwort just grows and grows....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here