Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hydrangeas and upcoming freezes

Posted by bamadave 7B (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 4, 07 at 20:09

I'm assuming that the impending freeze is going to kill unprotected hydrangeas back to the ground and ruin this year's bloom season (except for the reblooming types)? It looks like upper 20's are possible here! Yikes! Some of my hydrangeas that are in sunnier spots already appear to have been zapped earlier in the Winter. I think they broke dormancy early in January during the warm spell and got zapped later in the month. UGH! I can't believe we are facing temps in the 20's after so much early heat and EVERYTHING leafed out, blooming, etc.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hydrangeas and upcoming freezes

Yep, blackberry winter is coming with a vengeance. I just crammed part of my
garage with stuff in pots that was already getting big or pretty, so I can haul it all out again next week. And theres still more to go inside out back. The neighbors already probably think im a wacko plant nut out in the yard again.

heres a pincture link to the garage so far.

Here is a link that might be useful: plant takeover

o
RE: upcoming freezes

Ooops, wrong picture...still figuring out this photobucket thing.

Here is a link that might be useful: garage

o

LOL! Yep, I am the same way. Potted stuff all over the place outside, much of which needs to be moved back in. I hate Blackberry Winter! :(

o

Covering Hydrangeas with burlap, sheets, or such has worked for me.

o

I have several hydrangeas planted in the ground (oakleaf, endless summer, and glory blue) and I'll be going out of town this weekend. Do I need to protect them or will they be fine?

I also have some gardenias. Do they need to be protected as well?

o

I don't know what "blackberry winter" is, but i hate it too! :)

o

Blackberry Winter is when temps return to cold or Winterlike conditions in April when the blackberries are blooming. And I saw plenty of blackberry blooms while running this morning, so this is definitely Blackberry Winter! Yikes!

o

This just sucks! Predicting 25 here tomorrow nite. All of my azaleas are just now blooming too (full shade). They were beautiful, but bet this ruins them! YUK!

o

Shoot, now y'all got me worried about my hydrangeas. I have 4 that are little bitty fellas, but my Nikko Blue is 5 ft tall. Well Terramadre, I guess the sheets will be coming out.
Biscuit I'm not worried about my gardenias, nor tea olives. They do just fine during the winter with no problems and the gardenias haven't started budding yet.

o

If your wood is not killed, you shoot get bloom. If they have already leaved out, and the leaves are mushed, just let them fall off and push out new leaves and you will probably get bloom. Annabelle and Endless Summer should bloom although they have taken a hit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here