Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bamadave_gw

Hydrangeas and upcoming freezes

bamadave
17 years ago

I'm assuming that the impending freeze is going to kill unprotected hydrangeas back to the ground and ruin this year's bloom season (except for the reblooming types)? It looks like upper 20's are possible here! Yikes! Some of my hydrangeas that are in sunnier spots already appear to have been zapped earlier in the Winter. I think they broke dormancy early in January during the warm spell and got zapped later in the month. UGH! I can't believe we are facing temps in the 20's after so much early heat and EVERYTHING leafed out, blooming, etc.

Comments (10)

• tedevore
    17 years ago

Yep, blackberry winter is coming with a vengeance. I just crammed part of my
    garage with stuff in pots that was already getting big or pretty, so I can haul it all out again next week. And theres still more to go inside out back. The neighbors already probably think im a wacko plant nut out in the yard again.

heres a pincture link to the garage so far.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:360721}}

• tedevore
    17 years ago

Ooops, wrong picture...still figuring out this photobucket thing.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:362486}}

• bamadave
    Original Author
    17 years ago

LOL! Yep, I am the same way. Potted stuff all over the place outside, much of which needs to be moved back in. I hate Blackberry Winter! :(

• terramadre
    17 years ago

Covering Hydrangeas with burlap, sheets, or such has worked for me.

• biscuit97
    17 years ago

I have several hydrangeas planted in the ground (oakleaf, endless summer, and glory blue) and I'll be going out of town this weekend. Do I need to protect them or will they be fine?

I also have some gardenias. Do they need to be protected as well?

• roseyp8255
    17 years ago

I don't know what "blackberry winter" is, but i hate it too! :)

• bamadave
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Blackberry Winter is when temps return to cold or Winterlike conditions in April when the blackberries are blooming. And I saw plenty of blackberry blooms while running this morning, so this is definitely Blackberry Winter! Yikes!

• roseyp8255
    17 years ago

This just sucks! Predicting 25 here tomorrow nite. All of my azaleas are just now blooming too (full shade). They were beautiful, but bet this ruins them! YUK!

• kabby_z8
    17 years ago

Shoot, now y'all got me worried about my hydrangeas. I have 4 that are little bitty fellas, but my Nikko Blue is 5 ft tall. Well Terramadre, I guess the sheets will be coming out.
    Biscuit I'm not worried about my gardenias, nor tea olives. They do just fine during the winter with no problems and the gardenias haven't started budding yet.

• patricianat
    17 years ago

If your wood is not killed, you shoot get bloom. If they have already leaved out, and the leaves are mushed, just let them fall off and push out new leaves and you will probably get bloom. Annabelle and Endless Summer should bloom although they have taken a hit.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville