Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you help me indentify this plant?

Posted by realitycheck3907 Birmingham (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 29, 12 at 20:37

I have been trying to identify this plant. My dad has always told me that its poison oak. But I cant find it. Can you tell me what it is?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v642/realitycheck3907/IMAG0085.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you help me indentify this plant?

That's Parthenocissus quinquefolia, called Virginia Creeper. Look out, because it seems to grow right alongside poison ivy, most of the times that I've seen it!
Though this plant is not related to Poison Ivy (not even in the same family), reports of contact dermatitis are not uncommon.

Considered a weed by most, many appreciate the fall color it provides and find the 5-leaflet leaf structure very attractive. It's in the same plant family as grapes, Vitaceae.

o

Virginia Creeper is pretty, but in my experience quite invasive. It's not as bad a kudzu, but my neighbor has it in a wooded area along our fence and I fight it constantly. Runners will appear 15' inside our yard and seedlings pop up everywhere.

o

Gosh, any plant that's not difficult to grow is labeled an invasive...a poor plant just can't win. Don't tell an Ivy League graduate his dorm was covered in invasive weeds, Boston or Virginian.

o

I was reading, a while back, that Yale has finally successfully rid their buildings of ivy. It was simply too destructive and the damage would often remain hidden from view until it became hugely expensive to repair.

o

Rhizo - Thanks for posting. Absolutely right. Plants growing on side of buildings cause three major problems: damaging roots growing into the structure itself, invites moisture, and invites insects. It looks pretty, but I would never have any vine of any type growing on my home. I plant all foundation plantings with the rootball center at least three feet from the house. I actually keep a yardstick in my gardening tools for this - works great!

Virginia creeper is a terrible, terrible plant down here in Florida. If it gets away from you (grows without your noticing), the lateral roots easily get an inch thick or more - and then you can't even yank them up. It becomes a major project to remove even a few feet of it.

Carol

o

The term invasive has 2 meanings. One has to use the context of a sentence to see which connotation of the word invasive applies. This plant is a native, so technically it can't be invasive in the sense that it invades where it shouldn't. But it's far too exuberant for most to want it in a manicured lawn & garden setting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here