Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loveofmylife680

can anyone tell me what this is?

loveofmylife680
16 years ago

I got this from Deb several years ago and cant remember what it is, I thought it was a cahaba lily but the leaves look wider than the pics I have seen of cahaba lily.

Flower from last year around 06/16/07

{{gwi:259336}}

leaves from now with no flower

{{gwi:173395}}

Jill

Comments (21)

• roseyp8255
    16 years ago

isn't this what you gave me a couple of years ago? GORGEOUS!

• kandm
    16 years ago

Sort of looks like a spider lily, Hymenocallis eucharidifolia maybe.

• ourhighlandhome
    16 years ago

I received the same bulbs from Deb, and have narrowed them down to a Hymenocallis, probably liriosme or 'Tropical Giant' (taking into account the size of the plant and the pervasive fragrance). I would love to know exactly what they are.

Nelson

• tweetypye
    16 years ago

Jill, post the photos on the "Name this plant" forum...I'll just bet you'll get an answer soon. That's what I've always done with unknowns and usually get an answer from some very knowledgeable person real soon.

Jan

• loveofmylife680
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Rosey, I am pretty sure I gave you an amaryllis. Jan I posted it on the name this plant side. I figured someone else got some from Deb also and might remember the name.Nelson I did forget they were fragrant.
    Jill B.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    16 years ago

Reminds me of a 'Summer Lily', AKA 'Peruvian Lily'. Sure is pretty!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:362587}}

• kandm
    16 years ago

Like I said, I'm pretty sure it is a variety of spider lily. Not all spider lilys are red.... Just do a Google image search for spider lily and this flower pops up.

Check out this pic of Spider Lily Hymenocallis occidentalis http://www.briartech.com/summer/slily/img3.jpg

and this one of Hymenocallis eucharidifolia: http://www.shieldsgardens.com/amaryllids/Hymenocallis2.html

Spider lilies are in the Amaryllis family.

• roseyp8255
    16 years ago

Jill - You did give me a white amaryllis. you also gave me something you called a swamp lily.

kandm - while doing a search on crinums last night, i too came up with those same pics. they are all somehow related. cousins i guess

• swampbuck
    16 years ago

I am almost certain it is a spider lily, and yes it does closely resemble the Cahaba lily. Cahaba lilies grow in area where there is a flow of water (commonly in the Piedmont areas of the Southeast).

• ollierose
    16 years ago

I have these in my yard and believe them to be a type of amaryllis called naked lady bulbs. I have them raning in size from a golf ball to larger than a softball. I've never seen mine bloom and I'm really excited to after seeing your pictures!

Diana in Atlanta
    (yes, the GA forum is a little slow today, so I'm nosing around at my neighbors' "houses" - hehe!)

• loveofmylife680
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I read that they like alot of moisture, so last year I kept the ground around it damp and I got a bloom. I do not remember what type of flower it was I was reading about but I think it was Cahaba lily. I know mine is not a cahaba lily but the moisture part seem to work because this was its 3rd year in the ground and first bloom.
    Jill

• Iris GW
    16 years ago

No ollierose, they are not "naked ladies" because these bloom with the leaves still visible. Naked ladies bloom when the leaves are not visible.

• ollierose
    16 years ago

Then what are they?

• jeff_al
    16 years ago

i think it is hymenocallis caroliniana because you said it flowered in june. foliage doesn't look right for h. eucharidifolia and h. liriosme should have a distinct yellow throat.

• loveofmylife680
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jeff , I think you are right because when I looked them up out of all the ones listed this one had the most traits of the hymenocallis caroliniana.
    Jill

• beachlily z9a
    16 years ago

Hi all! Your picture is of a Florida native plant called Hymenocallis latifolia. According to my native plant guide, "This spider lily is one of Florida's most beautiful native flowers and is becoming very popular for low-maintenance landscaping. Like the related alligator lily and string lily, it belongs to the amaryllis family.

This plant flourishes in my beachside garden, but it usually has a range in zones 10-11. Maybe its more flexible than reported. I gave some bulbs to a friend in zone 8 and its flourishing there too.

I love this plant because it's leaves are almost as pretty as its blooms!

• jeff_al
    16 years ago

doubtful a zone 10 plant would fluorish in zone 7.
    these are difficult to identify by looking at the flowers only and should be differentiated by using all attributes of the plant.

• ourhighlandhome
    16 years ago

Just to further cloud the issue, the leaves on my plants approach 2-inches wide (not an attribute of 'caroliniana', according to the Southern Living Garden Book ).

For anyone who doesn't understand strict adherance to botanical names, this is an excellent example of why you should. ;-) Let's keep guessin' - this has bugged me for years! (And Jeff, it's good to "hear" from you again!).

Nelson

• Bamateacha
    16 years ago

A relative gave me this plant...at least I think it's this plant. It sits in a pot in my birdbath right now and it just bloomed for me. Does your plant have a scent? Mine has a wonderful...hmmm...lemony? scent. And...I think it grew wild, but I'm not sure.

• loveofmylife680
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mine does.

• ollierose
    15 years ago

Dave's Garden lists this plant as a crinum.

Sponsored