Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mountain laurel & other pretties

Posted by tedevore 7b Al (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 25, 07 at 21:14

I just hiked through part of the moss Rock nature preserve in Hoover this evening, and there are some really pretty stands of mountain laurel in full bloom. I would highly recommend hiking around this 250 acre or so preserve if you have never been. There is a sloping rock-glade with a stream and little waterfalls, and around the area is an intersting mix of plant life-- prickly pear cactus, lots of moss, and ferns. Its pretty. There are also boulders the size
of small houses with ferns and oak leaf hydrangeas growing on them. Except for the occasional loud teenagers who like to climb stuff and carry-on, its always a real nice peaceful walk. I have seen deer there before, probably displaced from all the development downhill around that Robert trent Jones golf course thing.

todd

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mountain laurel & other pretties

Thanks Todd.
I have been wanting to explore that trail when I get up that way. (I live near Montgomery, but we tend to visit Birmingham more than Montgomery. How do you get to the trail?

o
RE: mountain laurel & other pretties

There are three parking places around the preserve, with three seperate
trailheads. One enetrance is in the parking area of simmons middle school. You can look it up in mapquest--adress is 1575 patton chapel road. The trail here takes about 3/4 of a mile i would guess to get to some of the more interesting places. There are maps of the place in hoover public library. The entrance closest to the boulderfields and sandstone glade is on preserve parkway. you can probably see that road area if you use mapquest and look up the middle school.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here