Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rmbeckman

Do you recognize this Yellow Blooming Plant?

rmbeckman
18 years ago

Can anyone identify the plant with the yellow blooms? This is from a picture I took last yr when it was in bloom I have looked at books looking for petals that shape in yellow but have yet to positively identify. Was just growing in the area of my back yard where I let the honeysuckles run wild.

{{gwi:362680}}

Comments (10)

• pfllh
    18 years ago

Can't really tell with the other foliage but check out Melampodium paludosum - Show Star Medallion Daisy.
    Lynn in Prattville

• rmbeckman
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the reply Lynn. I'm still uncertain. I guess I should have mentioned that plant was taller than me(5'9"). I was trying to get all of the blooms in the pic and didn't zoom in as much as I should have I guess. Tried cropping a bit of the pic at a higher resolution which might show the bloom a bit better. Looks like it has eight petals per bloom.
    MarieB
    Hanceville, AL(Cullman Co.)

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:362681}}

• razorback33
    18 years ago

It's a dicot, member of the Asteraceae Family(Daisy, Aster), probably Tickseed(Coreopsis sp.[Spring blooming]) or Beggartick(Bidens sp.[fall blooming]). There is also a Beggartick Sunflower(Helianthus laevis) that has similiar flowers.
    Rb

• pfllh
    18 years ago

It's not the medallion daisy with that heighth. I think RB is right as to the family. Solution might be to check with neighbors to see if they have the plant and the birds shared with you.
    Sorry I wasn't of any help.
    Lynn

• rmbeckman
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for trying. I do appreciate your efforts. I looked at a few pics of others. I believe it bloomed in the Fall or late summer as it was after I returned from the trip to my sister's last yr. I think its probably Bidens laevis smooth beggartick. That was the only picture I saw where the leaves matched and the center of the flower was the right color and had 8 petals.
    Thanks to all for your help :-)
    Marie

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture of the closest match

• Soeur
    18 years ago

Looks most like Coreopsis major from what I can tell. C. major likes some shade, and does well in dry shade, for that matter. Blooms midsummer (July for me here in TN). It gets, oh, say, 24 to 30 inches tall in my unirrigated under-oaks-and-hickories setting. I consider it a delightful and underused perennial. Check it out at the link below.

Soeur

Here is a link that might be useful: Coreopsis major

• janet__t
    18 years ago

It looks too viney to be coreopsis. Actually it looks more like jasmine to me. Or Jessamine. I am trying to remember the name of the yellow one. But it escapes me right now. It may be Carolina Jessamine.

• angelawhitehorn
    18 years ago

i vote for coreposis. it's definitely not carolina jessamine, as i have a very large one and the flowers do not look like the photo (but they are yellow). also, carolina jessamine blooms very early spring, not fall.

i also have coreopsis, but it's pretty young, and it hasn't bloomed yet, so i can't snap a photo for comparison.

angela

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    18 years ago

ALL plants with disc and ray flowers belong to the Asteraceae family. A good close-up of the leaves would help ID this for sure. There are a heck of a lot of yellow, fall-blooming plants that belong to this family. But one of the Bidens sure fits the bill.

If you have access to a decent wildflower book, you'd find it in a flash, I'll bet.

• QueenBee1
    18 years ago

this looks exactly like the one i've been trying to find- the flowers look like this but it grows on a bush like- pretty tall. i have been thinking it was some type of rudbeckia.
    have been looking for this about 3 years