Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
apple911

Fungus?

Apple911
11 years ago

Is this a fungus on my cedar? And how do I get rid of this? See attached pic.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fungus??

Comments (11)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Hi. I think you are trying to link to something in your email. If you are interested in putting the picture on a free photo-hosting site, you will be able to put a link here that works for everyone to see it.

• Apple911
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks. I will upload it to something.

• Apple911
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Maybe this will work

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:362709}}

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

I can see the pic now. Is it something on the tree? Some kind of gall?

• jeff_al
    11 years ago

it is cedar-apple or cedar-hawthorn rust.

• Apple911
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's on my cedar tree. Will it hurt it? Is there something I can do to get rid of it? I have babied this tree for 3 years and I don't want it to die.

• alabamanicole
    11 years ago

It doesn't kill the tree, but it may make it rather unattractive if it gets worse and gets a lot of galls. You can try cutting the gall out and disposing of in the trash, but chances are the spores are already in the environment and it will return. You can also try fungicides -- that won't cure it but it may help contain the outbreak.

If you add any crabapples, quinces, apples, junipers or roses to your landscape (or have them already), routine and consistent spraying with fungicide may help prevent spread.

• jeff_al
    11 years ago

they (eastern red cedar or more correctly juniper, if that is what you have) are tough as nails and i pull the seedlings out of flower beds regularly.
    you may see some tip dieback right where the fungus is growing on the cedar but, other than that, i wouldn't do anything involving chemicals (fungicides).
    the fungus is most harmful to the apple or crabapple.

Here is a link that might be useful: cedar-apple rust

• alabamanicole
    11 years ago

I agree. If it's just the juniper, I wouldn't worry about it.

Oh and just to clarify something I may have said that was confusing -- if you have crabapples, etc. to protect you want to spray *them* not the juniper.

• Apple911
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you so much guys. I was really worried. We dug it out of the woods behind our house 3 years ago and planted it. So no fungicide, but I can cut it off, right? I have roses that have a fungus, but I have been treating them so hoping they will be better soon.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Apple, what kind of disease is bothering your roses? I'm asking because there's some preventative options out there that have proven to be really helpful. Many of the most common fungal diseases build up a strong resistance to commonly used fungicides, is why I ask. If we can go after the problem without their use, then we (and our plants) usually come out on top of the battle.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022