Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
apple911

What are these?

Apple911
11 years ago

Cleaning out from under my dogwood tree I saw these creepy bugs. Will they hurt my tree?

Here is a link that might be useful: Creepy Bugs

Comments (11)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Your link takes us to the gmail sign on page. I sure would love to see those 'creepy bugs'!

• Apple911
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, crap. Trying to figure out how to put the sucker on here.

• Apple911
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Maybe that worked.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:362712}}

• catbird
    11 years ago

It's hard to see the individual bugs, but if these are larvae they could be dogwood borers, which will indeed damage the tree. Do an internet search for those and see if that's what yours are. Some got in one of my dogwoods several years ago. I noticed a swollen area near the ground (possibly where it had been grafted). There were also small holes in the bark of the tree and the tree was clearly in poor health. I decided to try a systemic herbicide and it worked like a charm. You can find those at the garden or big box stores. It's a liquid you dilute with water and pour on the ground where the roots can absorb it. (It also works with scale and sure beats trying to spray them all with neem oil.)

• Apple911
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you so much. I will research it some more. I have a friend who works at a nursery, so maybe she can hook me up.

11 years ago

Not remotely dogwood borers. Please don't consider purchasing a systemic pesticide. I ASSUME THAT CATBIRD MEANT INSECTICIDE AND NOT HERBICIDE. Your little critters are Procids (often called bark lice, tree lice. They should be considered absolutely benign. Many consider them beneficial.

Psocids (pronounced SEW-sids) are scavengers, feeding on lichen, algae, fungus, and other types of organic content located on the tree bark. You can see exactly what they are feeding on in your image.

Another reason for not using the systemics is that their use has proven to cause a population increase in such pests as spider mites, whitefly, and others.

Here is a link that might be useful: Click here

11 years ago

I'll also post another image showing these psocids in a more natural habitat. The link above is a good picture, but not of their outdoor environment.

By the way, there are many species of psocids. I recall one that was very common on the trunks and branches of big live oaks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Another bark lice fact sheet

• Apple911
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you! I feel better about the creepers now.

11 years ago

I'm glad! 'Try' to think of them as really interesting, rather than creepy. (HA! Is that a stretch? It is for most people, lol)

• catbird
    11 years ago

rhizo: Thanks for the correction! I absolutely meant insecticide, not herbicide. It's that old age thing. :-(

I didn't think they were the borers, but figured it was worth checking out since I couldn't see them clearly in the picture.

How would you get rid of dogwood borers and scale if you don't use systemic insecticides? I rarely use them, but find them extremely helpful in very limited situations.

• catbird
    11 years ago

rhizo: Thanks for the correction! I absolutely meant insecticide, not herbicide. It's that old age thing. :-(

I didn't think they were the borers, but figured it was worth checking out since I couldn't see them clearly in the picture.

How would you get rid of dogwood borers and scale if you don't use systemic insecticides? I rarely use them, but find them extremely helpful in very limited situations.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner