Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
john_trussville

Rice paper & Hardy tapioca

john_trussville
19 years ago

Does anyone know where I can find Rice paper (Tetrapanax papyrifera) &/or Hardy tapioca (Manihot grahamii) in the B'ham area? I was going to order both from Plant Delights, but I believe they're sold out. Any help will be appreciated!!

Comments (11)

• janet__t
    19 years ago

Have you tried the 'Plant Odyssey'? They may have it.
    Other-wise, it Plant Delights are sold out, I would do a search on the web. Even on E-bay. It never ceases to amaze me what they have on there.....Just type in the search box what you need and take it from there.

Good Luck, janet

• sugarhill
    19 years ago

Goodness Grows in Georgia has tetrapanax for a very reasonable price - or at least they had it last year. They don't have a web site, but their phone # is 706/743-5055. I believe they were asking $6 for a gallon size.

• LoraxDave
    19 years ago

John,

Andy's Creekside Nursery had Rice Paper Plants last year (or maybe the year before?). That's the only local nursery I have seen that sells these. I have never seen Hardy Tapioca for sale around here. It seems like the best shots at finding unusual perennials like these would be Plant Odyssey, Andy's, and Meyer's Pottery down in Pelham.

I agree with Janet - there probably is someone on eBay selling Rice Paper plants. Because once you have this, you have enough to share with the World within a couple of years. LOL.

• plantaholic
    19 years ago

youre welcome to both......im removing a large area of tetrapanax. i only give it away by the truckload! LOL manihot reseeds in my garden.

• john_trussville
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Well I made the rounds of most of the local nurseries yesterday....and came away empty-handed. Most places reacted as if they had never heard of either plant. Dave, Andy's didn't recall ever having them, but did seem interested & took down both names & said they would get in touch with me if they could find a supplier. Libby at Plant Odyssey said to check back with her in a couple of weeks....she should have rice paper by then. Sugar Hill & janet, thanks for your suggestions, but I really want to acquire them locally as my job is requiring me to travel quite a bit right now and I don't want a delivery to possibly set at my doorstep for three or four days while I'm gone. I think I'll accept the generous offer from Hayes, as long as he'll let me take just a Mustang load!
    Thanks again everyone!

• angelfairy
    18 years ago

I am also looking for both of these and can do PayPal. Large amount of rhizomes needed. TIA

• terramadre
    18 years ago

No selling allowed on GW.

• tweetypye
    18 years ago

John, I have Rice Paper plants, and would be glad to bring you one or two to the spring plant swap if you are coming. Just let me know.
    Jan

• ourhighlandhome
    18 years ago

John,

I wish you would come to the swap. I could then hand you the 3-yr.-old poncirus 'Flying Dragon' I've been growing for you!!! Get your a$$ in gear, son! ;-)

• john_trussville
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey Nelson, I sure hope you've been giving my poncirus lots of TLC....so glad to hear you've been saving it for me. I was out at Joe's once late last summer & I think it was on a table up front, but he wasn't around & I was hesitant to just walk off with something. Still not sure about coming to the swap....don't know if I have anything that anyone would want. I'll have to see what I can scrounge up once things start coming back to life.

Jan, thanks so much for your generous offer but if you'll notice my original post was from about this time last year. Last spring I was able to get tetrapanax from Hayes (plantaholic) & manihot from one of my palm tree growin buddies out in North Carolina. BTW I just checked out your website, and your garden & ponds are......WOW!!!
    Do you charge admission?

• angelfairy
    18 years ago

The PayPal offer was for shipping. I know the rules.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County