Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meesh21

N'Alabama cutting garden suggestions

meesh21
17 years ago

New to the site and to gardening in Dixie. We are somewhat northwest of Hunstville in Harvest. My wonderful husband just roto-tilled a beautiful, large bed with full southern exposure for vegetables and a cutting garden. Zone 7a I assume as I am north in the state. I really need some help choosing as many perennials as possible for this garden. I have heeled in some peonies until I can prepare a place for them in the east facing bed at the front of the house, so they will get afternoon shade. I am from Central NY, Syracuse and am missing my peonies. The ones I planted last year (East Bed) have blossoms! Anyway, please send me all the suggestions you can! Thanks, Meesh21

Comments (3)

• tsmith2579
    17 years ago

For early spring, count on daffodils. Don't count on tulips because they don't come back very well this far south. Yellow bell forsythia and quince (bush) make good cut flowers in early spring. Large marigolds, zinnias, celosia (cockscomb and princess feather), dahlias, rudbeckia, bee balm and sweet peas all do well here. Bridal wreath spirea, peonies, roses, ornamental fruit trees like crabapple and pomegranate are good cut flowers. And plant green and purple basil for cut flower foliage. Oh, and welcome to Alabama.

• meesh21
    Original Author
    17 years ago

tsmith2579

Thank you for the assistance. We are loving Alabama!
    Where I am from in Central New York we have the same kind of soil, only dk brown not red/orange. So while it means more work I knew what to do. One of the first things we bought was a rototiller, LOL. I am not turning another garden by hand, yikes. Today, I am so sore just from heeling in plants and planting the vegetables, I can barely move, waiting for the asprin to kick in. :) Have a lovely day! Meesh21

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    17 years ago

Hey! I was born and raised in the Cortland area! I vividly recall that rich loamy (but full of stones) soil of central NYS. I LOVE the red clay soil that we have here, but you need to be very mindful of over tilling it. Clay shouldn't be worked very much or it never gets the chance to improve.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!