Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Intro

Posted by freebird914 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 15, 07 at 23:07

Freebird914 here, Did the unthinkable and fill in my pool to create a 16 by 32 garden...It's been a slow process, Growing mostly vegetables and try to get the soil correct so it's gonna be a battle... Looking forward to sharing ideas and maybe some laughter along to way....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Intro

Welcome to our little piece of the horticultural world. We tend to get to know each other and develop an extended family. Did you provide drainage from the pool or are you going to grow a bog garden in rainy years? Save your grass clippings and work them in with chopped leaves in Fall. Do you hve a compost pit? Horse manure, especially composted manure, is good as well. In what part of Alabama do you live? Come join us for the plant swap in Birmingham in May.

o
RE: Intro

Thanks for the welcome, I am in Montgomery, I did provide drainage for the pool, I broke up the thin layer of what some call plaster even after I was told that it was able to drain thru. (liner type pool) It's been a battle to finally get it filled. But I am happy, I grow mostly vegetables but did have three rose bushes last year... Lots of tomatoes and pepper. I have been looking at building a compost bin but to be honest a bit lazy, LOL
That is on my list to get done this summer, Slow progress but steady. Thanks again for the welcome and Have a nice day.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here