Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jnypop

anyone elses garden too wet to till ?

jnypop
11 years ago

i've been waiting to till the garden . i tried to till today but its just too wet.i am just curious to see if anyone else is as frustrated as i am

Comments (14)

• outsideplaying_gw
    11 years ago

Same here - we're in north Alabama. Just when I think it might be about to get dry enough, we get another rain. And it truly hasn't been warm enough to totally dry it out between rains, or with a good enough forecast to plant tomatoes, etc. yet. Yes, very frustrating indeed!

I was going to ask if anyone has noticed the dogwood blooms not as plentiful as normal this year. Last year was gorgeous. Crazy weather.

• alabamanicole
    11 years ago

I don't till, but it's still been a pretty frustrating spring!

I think the dogwoods are blooming the same amount, but they started late and they've all been spread out and blooming at different times, so we haven't had that spring week of dogwood bling.

Soon enough it'll be too hot to want to move, right?

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

I don't till either (except the first year for a new area,) and this area is blessed with excellent drainage in general, but I don't think some of the veggies I'd planned are possible. No room to start inside, it was too cold for so long, now it's too late. Usually turning on the A/C by now. If it wasn't for not yet getting around to fixing/replacing the fencing around the veggie patch, because of all of the cold and rain, things would be going already. Our dog, 175 lb great Dane, gets in there and lays on the plants, digs holes.

Not that I won't try, just a few $$s' worth of seeds, but not expecting great results. Never been very good @ veggies, and moving down south a few years ago confused me even more. Lettuce seeds I scattered in late Feb./early March never came up, yet anyway. I haven't seen our dog laying in that spot, but that's possible too.

• alabamanicole
    11 years ago

Slugs and snails may have got your lettuce. I have that problem unless I scatter Sluggo with the seeds. This year, though, I had a lot of losses in the cool season crops at the cotyledon stage because there just wasn't enough sun for them to make it. The radishes in particular did poorly, and they love cool weather.

We've got a long season ahead for summer crops. Even with the late start there's not much that won't mature by the first frosts in October.

11 years ago

Thanks for the tips, very helpful! We do have some great onions and garlic, some sweet potatoes still going, so that's a start. I have encountered a lot of slugs this spring in the small amounts of time I've been able to do stuff between frosts and rains.

A couple celery stumps I put in the ground in Jan, then in early March, are growing. Don't know if we'll get a snack or just compost fodder, but it's fun, educational for my son.

Some tomato and cucumber sprouts in another spot by the fence did come up. Might as well use part of the fence for something besides keeping the dog in. Those take up too much room in our little tilled spot.

What part of the state are you in, Jny? Opp is in the middle, just a few miles north of the FL border. Sounds like you're in good company regarding frustration! What are you anxious to plant?

• jnypop
    Original Author
    11 years ago

its good to see peoples spirits still up ........jk anyways.purpleinopp i am in hartselle which is dead center of north Al.i usually put in all of my summer crops in about now but being blessed with good ole tan clay that holds water like concrete holds a rock i have to be patient.oh well no one says i cant start a 5 gallon bucket garden.its so funny its almost like the garden is calling me saying "please come work me. i'm so lonely out here all by myself"

• outsideplaying_gw
    11 years ago

Hi jnypop. Live just east of you in Laceys Spring...Work in Huntsville so live at the far east end off 36. Grew up in the area (G'ville) so have dealt with this red clay or rocks all my life! I had to chuckle at your last comment about your garden! Mine looks so lonely and deserted compared to the rest of the yard!

• jnypop
    Original Author
    11 years ago

raining again. i would be pulling my hair out but i thought smartly for once and covered my garden up with 6 mil plastic and put in a temporary french drain.its still drying out nicely

• bulzi
    10 years ago

Aqua gardening anyone?

10 years ago

Ha! No doubt. At least I am getting a lot of exercise moving potted plants in/out of the rain...

• outsideplaying_gw
    10 years ago

Still 'too wet to plow' as the old-timers used to say. I'll eventually get some tomatoes and such in the ground, but it certainly won't be this weekend! Good grief!

I forgot to comment about the dogwood blooms - Mine weren't near as showy as last year. Some barely bloomed. The redbud were so-so but did better than the dogwood. I'm beginning to think we may all have to be converts to hydroponic gardening as bulzi suggested!

10 years ago

Still cold & raining here... whine!

• bulzi
    10 years ago

Hoping that it does not freeze up in North Alabama tonite. 'drippy and alabamaicole' appears to have been an up side down spring especially for your zone this year.

Turned the heat back on for mom today. Wondering what the summer weather will be like. Wet??? Dry??? Cool - hot ???

purpleinopp, I too have hose (300 ft.) , can water....... If dry....?....

Mother Nature can certainly be a Miss B .

• alabamanicole
    10 years ago

It's 44F now, so it probably didn't get much lower.

I'm really hoping this is IT. The forecast should a gradual warmup ahead.

Sponsored