Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daffodillady

What a horrific day!!

daffodillady
13 years ago

Praise God my family is safe, and my home has no damage. Many around me were not so blessed. My heart and prayers go out to those affected by the tornados. How are my gardening friends?

Comments (9)

• dnr24
    13 years ago

Obviously health and safety is of first concern, so I too hope and pray everyone is safe. We did have major storm damage mainly to trees, though we also had fence and minor roof damage. Suffice it to say that our planned shade garden has suddenly turned into a potential rose garden!

• catbird
    13 years ago

We were lucky and didn't even lose power. Those who were not so luck are in our prayers.

• sundog7
    12 years ago

I was lucky here in Pinson - never lost power and was able to watch the whole thing on television. I've never seen anything so horrible in my 58 years. The day after the storm I walked around my yard and picked up a garbage bag full of debris that used to be part of an untold number of homes.

It's good to see Alabamians coming together now, helping one another. There's been very little looting and even Auburn and Alabama fans are helping each other.

• lsmcw
    12 years ago

In Walker County - lost power until last night. No damage. Daughter and Grandchildren live in Pleasant Grove. They lost 2 big trees but they didn't land on house. No power until last night. Cell towers were out so had no way to contact anyone. Pleasant Grove was locked down so couldn't call, couldn't go there - they ran out of food but some of the gas stations had opened and were selling their snack foods for cash. Scary - scary - scary. lmw

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

We feel very fortunate to have had no damage while others in the neighborhood cannot say the same. It will be unrecognizable without the hundreds of big trees that have been ripped out of the ground or snapped in two. All of the streets in our vicinity are lined with the remains of the trees and other storm debris.

We just got our electricity back this morning. We did get a generator last Friday, and that was helpful.

I agree, scary scary scary.

I'll miss the starry nights, though.

• topsiebeezelbub
    12 years ago

I have been so worried about the gardens and birds and little innocent creatures as well as people, of course. We got our lights on late Sunday. The good ole days must have been TERRIBLE! We were very lucky, but since tons of huge trees came down Jan.2010 they were already gone. The photos are all so sad.

• catbird
    12 years ago

Etowah County just got a glancing blow from one tornado, but there were still several deaths and lots of damage. Can't imagine what it's like in places like Tuscaloosa. We were lucky enough to be a bit north of the tornado's path and had nothing worse than a couple of big limbs from a neighbor's dead tree in our back yard well away from anything that matters. Our prayers to those who weren't so lucky. Alice

• sundog7
    12 years ago

For the first time in my life I'm seriously considering building a tornado shelter. But I think I may wait until the rush of new buyers and higher prices has passed. There's bound to be a big increase in storm shelter sales for the next few months.

All I need is a hole in the ground big enough for one over-sized old man. :)

• drippy
    12 years ago

Just got my power back this morning - Toney/Harvest/Monrovia tornado passed within half a mile of us. All of us have trees down; I had only one, thankfully - a few of my neighbors had flooding & some roof damage, but no deaths and no one homeless. Up the road, though, can't say the same - enough to truly make you cry.

The Alabama people are absolutely awesome. I have 12 piano students, and every single family checked in with me offering food, hot showers, internet service. As a northerner who just moved here a year ago, I am overwhelmed with the generosity of the people here.

Sponsored