Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mokey_gw

leaf rollers again!

mokey
14 years ago

I have leaf rollers on my cannas already! I've always tried to be as organic as possible, but now I am out for blood. I head that Bayer's Tree and Shrub works on these things. Will it also kill my abundance of worms? Will sevin dust be better to use? HEEEELLLLLLLPPPPPPP!!

Comments (6)

• tweetypye
    14 years ago

Hi Mokey, haven't seen you around lately. Sorry to hear you have those terrible leaf rollers again. When I got them, I cut off the affected leaves then sprinkled sevin on the rest and also on the ground around the cannas. Seemed to work pretty good for me. Now, I make sure I cut my cannas back to the ground after the first frost and clean up all the dead foliage. Since I've been doing this, I haven't had leaf rollers at all.

Hope all the plants you got from me are doing well for you.
    You should drive up to my place at Santuck sometime in the next few weeks, my dl's will be in full bloom around the end of May or first of June. I can probably find a few things to send home with you too. :) Good luck,with the leaf roller problem.
    Jan

• mokey
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Jan!

I am going to have to try that with the sevin dust. I just planted some pink canna a couple of months ago and I would hate to not see them bloom because I have to keep cutting back to get rid of leaf rollers. Also the plants I got from you are doing great. I would to visit your home again. It' so pretty there.

• bama_gardener
    14 years ago

Leaf rollers are the reason I don't have cannas any longer. They were pretty when they weren't attacked by the worms. Sevin worked really well but had to re-sprinkle after it rained.

• tsmith2579
    14 years ago

Mokey, go to Lowe's or HD and get some sort of systemic insecticide such as Cygon. Mix and water. The plant will pick it up into the tissue and it will kill the rollers. It got rid of them for me. I've got to doctor mine for the first time this year very soon.

• terramadre
    14 years ago

You may want to try Bt (Bacillus thuringiensis) as directed to control the caterpillars.

• User
    14 years ago

Last year I had those awful critters on MY cannas, and I sprayed them good with the Sevin dust and cut off the bad growth. Then this last winter, I took out all the top growth. So far I am holding my breath, because there are really fine leaves coming in, and my Bengal Tiger looks so pretty I cannot stand it!! I knock on wood, but hubby bought some Sevin for his summer squash which fell prey to some hungry critter this week. I stand ready to apply whatever it takes to keep these cannas lush and gorgeous.
    If I can do it, I want to post a picture of the bed they are in. I'm not a garden designer, I just put 'em in the ground and admire them!

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor