Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
john_trussville

For any & all B-ham banana freaks

john_trussville
15 years ago

Sweetpeas Nursery in Homewood has the new & still very rare

Musa 'siam ruby' for $13.95.

Most internet sources are still asking $30-$40 for this beauty that is supposed to grow up to 8' tall with leaves that are a dark ruby red with tiny green flecks.

They also had a new variegated pittosporum "creme de menthe" that was really beautiful, but it's hardiness was listed as zone 9....so I was able to resist buying it, at least for now.

Comments (11)

• tsmith2579
    15 years ago

Very pretty. Plant Delights has it for $30 plus shipping which is very high at PDN. I guess I'll stick with my Bordelon. I am running out of places to plant. John, are you coming to the plant swap? - Terry

• john_trussville
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Terry, there's ALWAYS room for more plants....surely you know that by now...LOL.

Doubt if I make it to the swap....not sure what I could contribute anyway. Its looking like the drought really took a toll on many things in my yard. Have not seen a sign of any of my alocasias or colocasias returning yet, and my gingers are coming back a lot thinner than usual.
    I know....it seems like I always have an excuse. But one of these years.....

• tsmith2579
    15 years ago

John, let me know about the elephant ears. What varieties are you growing? I may have some replacements to get you restarted. Let me know.

• john_trussville
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Terry....jeez you're asking me to THINK? I have no idea what some of them were named. Wish I'd had em written down, or better yet labeled in my garden.

Thanks for your generous offer, but before I start accepting handouts, I probably should wait a couple more weeks & hopefully a couple more rainfalls before I totally give up on mine. After all it is still early May.

But I might be able to trade you a pup off my siam ruby. I've already noticed one emerging.

• pfllh
    15 years ago

Ahhhh John, come on to the swap. You don't have to bring anything. Just come and meet everyone.
    Where is this place with the Siam Ruby? Maybe I can get someone to stay with Phil and go get me one.
    Just want everyone to feel welcome to come. Terry is coming to my humble abode - weeds and all !!! heh heh
    Take care
    Lynn

• john_trussville
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lynn, thanks for the gracious invite but I'd better save my $3.59/gal gas for my commute to & from work.

Sweetpeas Nursery ( 205-879-3839 ) is in Homewood at 2829 Linden Ave, which is just one block west of the main drag (18th ave) through downtown Homewood. Its a great little nursery...hope you can check it out sometime when you're up here.

• pfllh
    15 years ago

I can certainly understand the gas situation. I just cringe when I fill up as it's certainly eating up any budget.
    Thanks for the info on the nursery. I've never been there. Bet Nelson or Terry knows where it''s at. If I get lost, I'll just call them. Heh Heh
    Thanks
    Lynn

• Frog_hollow_lady
    15 years ago

O.K. I want a 'siam ruby' no two...anyone coming to the swap that might go by the nursery? I will pay you at the swap...you can call me before the swap if you need to...334-467-8649..Jody

• tsmith2579
    15 years ago

John, a trade is not necesary. If you need stuff, holler.
    Terry

• tsmith2579
    15 years ago

Hey, John. Jody (frog hollow lady) and I hooked up by phone and I went to Sweet Peas this afternoon and picked up two Siam Ruby bananas for her. The folks at Sweet Peas are really nice. BTW, did you see the green and white variegated leafed lacecap hydrangeas? I had to muster up all my strength to leave without one.

• john_trussville
    Original Author
    15 years ago

yes Terry, I saw those.....very nice I must say. You should have just gone ahead & got one today.....you know you'll just burn some more $3.60/gal gas again in a week or so when you end up going back for it. LOL

anyway, it was mighty nice of you to get Jody her siam rubys. I hope they do well for her!

have a great time at the swap.

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative General Contractors