Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bulzi

Cleome - Spider Flower.....zilch-0-

bulzi
10 years ago

Visits to 4 garden shops, 6 box shops and a few odd and end places that has been known to sell seeds. No Cleome. Zero. Zltch. No seed, no plants.

Why the search.....?.......

Mom and I were talking to day about > that plant A few came up the summer after the April 2011 storm, close to to where the mailbox had been. Pink. We only had the pink color back then. None came back in 2012. (did not think about them)

Cleome is one of those 'keepingon' plants that brings back a flood of great memories, from a another life time. A true 'pass along plant' usually from seed.

I would like to know if AnYoNe in Western Jefferson County knows of a place ( store) where I might purchase these in multi-colors. for this year.

It is not a do or die. A must have. Nothing is. Never thought the Spider Plant would be this hard to find. I found the Hosta Empress Wu easier, but - SOLD OUT. joseph

Comments (9)

• zelenkabach
    10 years ago

I purchased Cleome seeds in Dollar General last year. Haven't checked this year but it is worth a try. Good luck!

• bulzi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks lynnsdaughter, I did try 3 Dollar Generals to no avail. Going toward Trussville later on in the week . I will check out a few more DGs and Box stores out that way....... thanks again.....joseph

Posted the above, then went straight to two more DGs over in Ensley- 20th ST. and Five Points West . ZERO, but did pick up 4 boxes of Hummingbird Mix to plant on a few bare spots. What comes up will be great, what does not come up;>) will not be missed.

This post was edited by bulzi on Sun, May 5, 13 at 12:37

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

I don't know the answer to this because I haven't purchased seeds locally ever, but it seems like it might be a bit late to find a lot of seeds in your location. Even the on line sources are selling out quickly at this time of year.

I do remember seeing seed racks in Big Lots. Maybe even a big super market?

• bulzi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Life is good today.

I thought that I had squash seeds to plant and could not find them. Back to Walmart, none . Picked up bird seed, then off to Lowes. None! Bought a few odd and ends. LoNg story-short. Back to Julian Hardware down 269 in Sylvan Springs. Went for squash seed and thought Cleome. Started a conversation with the guy that came up to help find Cleome. We looked around, talked tomatoes, and found the squash seeds. While I was paying for my goodies Mrs. Julian (?) came out from a corner room along with the- tomato conversationalist. She carried me back outside and low and behold a cut down card board box filled with a million beautiful Cleome plants. Some SWEET lady had brought these pass along plants for her to fill in where trees were taken out of her Pleasant Grove yard in 2011.

My cup is running over.

About a hundred Cleome plants -cost- ZERO.

Thanks , I am no longer looking for any thing (till tomorrow). joseph

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Joseph, that is so great! You just never know when good things will happen.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

I keep buying and scattering Cleome seeds but nothing ever grows. I think the seeds need to chill. I used to have solid carpets of seedlings in OH.

• outsideplaying_gw
    10 years ago

Wonderful! Mine come up from last years seeds. I hope they are coming up again, but so far I haven't seen much of anything because of all the cool weather and rain. Of course I may have over-weeded this year and pulled some of them up already by mistake! I usually have hundreds and somewhere I have some seeds I saved from last year too.

• madabouteu
    10 years ago

The local DG had them, I also ordered them from Pimetree, but I did not get gremination of any seed this time!

• bulzi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wish that I still had my Dirr book...but my after thought is that Dirr did not deal with annuals. purpleinopp may have hit it on the head. The seeds may need some really cool or COLD weather for them to come up. Never noticed with Cleome, they would just popup without any help from me.

Is there a post somewhere on the GW of tried and true catalogs to order flower and vegetable seeds? A good one or two place to shop? A list of very good catalogs....?......etc.

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz