Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mokey_gw

Are there ever any on Sundays

mokey
13 years ago

Are there ever any swaps on Sunday? If no, Why not? Saturdays are bad for me. Even the workshops at Lowes and Home Depot are on Saturdays.

Comments (6)

• tsmith2579
    13 years ago

Mokey, it is pretty evident. Most people work Monday through Friday and a lot of people attend church on Sundays and that is more important to them than swaps. Even if the swap was on Sunday, it would be difficult for the church goers. Leave church at 11:45 am to 12:30 pm, get home in 30 minutes at 1 pm, hop in a loaded track or van and head off to Talladega or Gadsden from Birmingham. Arrive at 2:30 pm. Trade for 1 or 1 1/2 hrs and it is 4 pm. Get back home at 5:30 pm and church starts again to 6 pm. Saturdays are usually better for most people, which is why Lowe's and HD have their classes on Saturday. I'm not sure of your special circumstances but if it is work related, why not take a day of vacation and join us. I don't anticipate any swaps on Sundays through Friday because it just isn't convenient for most people.

• mokey
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Actually it's not. I attend church on Saturday. Also, as packed as the garden centers are on Sundays, it's very possible to have workshops on Sundays.

• tsmith2579
    13 years ago

Yes, it is possible but is it practical. I don't think many will attend a Sunday swap for the reasons I noted above. Most Southerners have been raised as mainstream Christians and their church service is Sunday. For most Southern traditionalists it has always been good manners to not organize events on Sunday in deference to those who attend church. If you think this is bad and old-fashioned, you should have been here before the middle 1970s when the Sunday Blue Laws were in effect. Strict enforcement of the Blue Laws forbade the selling of any groceries which had to be prepared or cooked. You could buy a can of Spam but not bacon and eggs, which had to be cooked. Is the reason you can't attend a swap on Saturday because of your church? I hope you can work it out so you can join us at a swap.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    13 years ago

Mokey, if you hold a swap on Sunday, I will come.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

I'm not 'mobile' of late, but if I were...Sundays would be the preferred day of the week for me and my husband. I think it's worth thinking about. And you might want to investigate the Tennessee swap. I don't know what day of the week they have theirs, but it seemed like they switched around, sometimes.

• catbird
    13 years ago

You're welcome to plan one any time you want to and see what happens. It's all done ad hoc and there are no rules, so do what works for you. I wouldn't be able to come on Sunday, but those who need to do it that day could have their own and those of us who can only come on Saturday could have another one. Some people might come for both and/or there might be enough people to support two swaps. Have at it.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES