Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scandia_gw

Is This True?

scandia
17 years ago

A friend told me that to root Gardenia and/or any tree I want. All I need is sand, and a bulb any kind of bulb...

Apparently no root hormone is needed if the bulb is present in the sand. Because the bulb will release the hormone needed to root the clippings...HUH?

I was told to put the bulb in the center of about 6 inches of sand in a pot. Then clip the branches I want to root at the joint and put them in the pot cut side down all around the bulb.

Does anybody know if this is true??? Does putting a bulb in the pot eliminate the need for root hormone??

Comments (16)

• tsmith2579
    17 years ago

There is a method of rooting called the potato method. Cuttings are placed in a potato and it is planted. Supposedly the spud feeds the cutting while it roots and begins to grow. The growing spud continues to feed the cutting. It never worked for me.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    17 years ago

Scandia, in a word: no.

• scandia
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks: I won't try it. I only have one chance to try to root clippings. I do not want to experiment with the bulb thang.

• carex
    17 years ago

Just put the cuttings in water and forget about them for a month or so and they will root fine. Several years ago I did this and now those cuttings are 4 ft high and about to bloom.

• scandia
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Inside the house or outside? Sunny spot or shaded spot??

I think it was TSmith who suggested a while back that I use root hormone and sand I was going to try that.

Maybe I will try both.

I am sensitive to yucky smells...So I am wondering if the water is going to start stinking?? If I use a clear jar for the water will that help lessen undesirable odors, vs sun exposure???

Plus if I am suppose to keep the jar with water outside my cats will definately knock it over if it smells bad.

17 years ago

It's actually better for the plants to start them in some sort of medium other than water. Many (most) plants WILL root in water, but the roots that they form are not the kind that will carry them over into the soil. Might as well start them in a solid medium in the first place, right? Each kind of plant material responds to variable treatments, and one of the most important factors being the time of year the cutting is made.

I'll attach a link to the proper methods of taking stem cuttings. But you will need to take a couple of minutes to check on the TIMING of the plants you are interested in rooting. Some respond best when taken in the spring, while others will root better if done in the fall/winter. Others are pretty darned flexible!

Now, IF you decide to go ahead and stick some in water, it is important that keep the water changed. Do NOT let it go bad. If all of the dissolved oxygen in the water is used up, there is not much hope for your cuttings being healthy and vigorous. Smelly water (obviously) means anaerobic conditions (lacking oxygen). A no no.

That is true no matter what you are trying to grow in water. Plants must have oxygen at the roots.

Here is a link that might be useful: C'mon....let's learn about plant propagation!

• scandia
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I am trying to prepare for the rooting of my Gardenia...I seem to remember reading somewhere to wait til it finishes blooming.

I have NEVER successfully rooted a plant from clippings til last week.

About 3 weeks ago I bought a purple Persian Lilac and trimmed it up after I planted it. I put the trimmings in a pot of Miracle Grow Tree and shrub soil (no root hormone) and they did root. I gave all the babies away...I only want the one plant. I just wanted to see If I could root it.

My next try will be with the Gardenia. I do not like shrubs or bushy looking plants in my yard...So I always trim everything to grow like a tree. I am moving the Gardenia after it blooms from the front to the back. I will wait for a bit to trim branches I want to root til it looks as if it has adjusted to its new location. So I have some time to collect information.

Thanks!!! for the link and advice Rhizo...I will read the whole thing. I wasn't too excited by the water thang anyway..I think my cats would knock the water over..

I am planning on transplanting the Gardenia into Miracle Grow Tree and Shrub soil. Hopefully this will help it grow bigger. It is in Alabama Red Clay right now. This Gardenia seems to do better the less I do for it...For years I tried to stimulate blooms with bloom starter..No blooms...One year I forgot to feed it and BLOOMS EVERYwhere...This year all I did was give it evergreen food...It has just started to bloom....and it has tons of blooms.

I am wondering..if you think the Miracle Grow tree and shrub soil would be pampering the tree too much??? Should I mix the miracle grow soil with the local soil???

• sugarhill
    17 years ago

I'm not a shrub expert at all, so check with other people, but I think the gardenia will adapt to its new spot much better if you trim the branches before you move it.

Here is what the AHS has to say about rooting gardenias. Easy to root from tip cuttings of green or semi-ripe wood. Take the cuttings at a node. They do not transplant well if the new roots are disturbed, so root them in cell trays or individual pots (so you can later plunk the whole thing into the ground without disturbing roots). They root in 6 to 8 weeks. You need to keep the bottoms of the pots warm and the cuttings humid - as if that's a problem in Alabama. That's it. So assuming your plant has some green tips, you should be good to go. Expect them to bloom in 12 to 18 months.
    Good luck.

17 years ago

Sugarhill, it is not advised that top pruning of shrubs be done upon transplanting anymore. We know, now, that it is the leaves that drive the force that help the plant make more new roots. The leaves are the factories. Eliminating them causes even greater stress to the plant. I can only assume that Scandia knows that transplanting a shrub or tree at this time of year is not a good idea and that this project will be done in the fall or winter.

Scandia, amending a native soil for the hole-by-hole planting method is not a good idea. The roots will tend to stay within that improved soil rather than venturing outwards. However, if you can till and amend a LARGE planting area (like a bed), then GO for it, sister!

• scandia
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I am pretty cautious about this Gardenia...I did prune it partially already. I did not take any height off it just small lower branches. I want it to grow like a tree. There are SO many flowers on it right now the branches are drooping from the weight. This is the first year that it has bloomed like that..After it blooms I will trim more branches off it and try to propagate them. I did want to move it but now I am nervious about that. It is in one of my front flower beds, I have dug everything else out and moved it to my new 60ft by 12ft flower garden in the back.

The gardenia is 4ft or more tall and kind of blocking my front porch right now that is why I wanted to move it, plus because of the bermuda. BUT, I have changed my mind since the scent from the blooms is so glorious near my front door.It is right in the middle of the flower bed...I am thinking about moving it to the left a little so it is near my front steps. I think it will make a lovely first greeting to any guests..I read somewhere that they can get 8ft tall...It is too close to the porch and foundation for that..Eventually, I do have to move it.

Both of my front flower beds have Bermuda grass invasion. One bed has RED Alabama clay and one has garden soil. (previous owners did this) I wanted to til them both and amend the soil and cover them for the season with black plastic in the hope of irradicating the bermuda and making the soil richer. The bermuda grass is not near the Gardenia so I am just going to leave the Gardenia there. And work around it...Maybe I will move it in fall...

I have received some good information on the propagation forum re how to properly propagate this. Wish me luck...

I am usually good at transplanting things....have had luck even in the heat of summer. I am not wanting to take that risk with this gardenia...Yes Rhizo I was going to transplant it after it finished blooming...only for the reason that I have never killed a plant during transplant no matter when I transplanted it. I will wait til fall because of what you said.

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    17 years ago

Scandia, don't agonize over rooting gardenias. They're not difficult and they're not mysterious. They just prefer to grow in hot, humid conditions. I root them in potting soil. I root them in water. They'll root in sand. I rooted 9 cuttings last year in potting soil in a single gallon container. Took them out of the pot, wrapped the whole mass in paper, boxed and mailed them to Texas and the recipient separated them and repotted. They have buds this year. Cuttings rooted in water and held over the winter will tend to be a bit yellow when you pot them up in the spring, but they'll grow.

When you cut a blossom to perfume your home, cut a stem with enough length to root. Strip off any leaves that will be under water. Leave it in water when the bloom drops off. You don't have to tolerate yucky water. Start in a clean vase or clear bottle, and if the water gets murky, replace the water. I just kept adding water. The ol' timey way was to put a cutting in a Co'cola bottle. Pot up sooner rather than holding over the winter.

If you have a shrub with blooms on it now, you're doing something right. Keep going.

Nell

• scandia
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Nell: Thanks for the advice. This is just how I am, I research to the micro dust particle vs my plants before I do anything. I like to use this forum to ask for personal input in addition to my research. It is nice to have a few experts to ask.

This particular plant was the only survivor of 5 original plants...I want it to live..And, I want more without having to go buy them. I just have never had success with rooting clippings so my initial research will be extensive before I try it.

I did manage to root some clippings from a Persian Lilac...But I did this without doing any research and I think I was just lucky...

17 years ago

Scandia....I can tell from your many postings that you have a natural green thumb! Not everyone does, you know....so you are blessed! That 'natural' sense, plus a tad of information is a winning combination.

Good luck with this plant. Let us know how the project goes.

• scandia
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Verses the trimming before transplant...This plant goes into mild shock when it is pruned. I can tell because the leaves always droop after it is pruned...So pruning it and moving it would be double shock...

I did prune some branches off it a few weeks ago. I missed picking one branch up when cleaning, it was laying on the ground and I noticed yesterday that it has roots on it..

So I have a baby.

I have been watering the Gardenia everyday lately since I pruned it...This seems to help it adjust to the pruning..So I guess the daily watering made the branch that was laying there root.
    An accidental propagation...Hummmm..I think I am better at accidental things.

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    17 years ago

Maybe I was wrong. Gardenias ARE mysterious. Why would a forgotten branch root when they're so difficult? Congratulations on the accidental baby plant. Now you know how it's done. Happy day.

Nell

• scandia
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well I think it rooted because I was watering the plant everyday after I pruned it. It is about 3 feet from the original plant and all by itself...

Plus I removed all the plants and mulch from that garden to til it. I felt the tree had no protection so I put some rock's around the bottom of the Gardenia PLUS my Neighbors female dog will pee on it if I don't. I can see that it is from a forgotten branch.. Maybe the combination of the water and the rocks did it. Hummm there are some white oak leaves in there too...(going to til them into the soil)

Maybe the Miracle Grow for Evergreens did it...

I wish I knew....Just luck I guess...

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals