Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tndaisy

moving native OL hydrangeas

tndaisy
10 years ago

These hydrangeas are on my property, right outside my fence. I would love to move some of them into my yard. Does anyone here have experience in moving them successfully, or do I just need to leave them be? Thanks for any help. Oh- some of them are small- I wouldn't try to move the big ones...

Comments (9)

• plantman71
    10 years ago

I dig and pot them all early spring. I stop after May. I find that digging trees after May doesn't work very good. I also dig in late fall and early winter. I have them in my yard and I have sold and traded lots. Can]t remember losing one.
    Good luck.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

Plantman71, the plants that you dig up and pot - are they volunteers? I would love to know. How great that would be!

• plantman71
    10 years ago

I go to plant digs to get native plants and always get some OL. I also had a mini farm that had a lots of OL My son now has it, but I can still get the OL. I have never moved the ones I have planted in my jungle. I have rooted some of the limbs. Tony

• tndaisy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Tony for the info. Guess I'd better hurry up, or wait!

• outsideplaying_gw
    10 years ago

I agree with Tony. The only thing I will add, is like any other hydrangeas, they will drink up the water when you first transplant, no matter what size or what time of year. I also have successfully rooted some of the limbs, then potted them up and given them to friends. That's how several of mine got their start and were passed to me when we were building our house. Like most areas around here, it's usually easier to dig in the spring, but you will have to be diligent about watering in the summer if you transplant now. You could try 2-3 and see how they do if you have a lot.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

plantman71 said, "I go to plant digs to get native plants"

Thanks for the info, everyone. (OL = oakleaf, for anyone that doesn't know.) Where or what is "plant digs"? I have never heard of it. Thanks! And I'm still not sure... are they volunteers (native plants)?

This post was edited by love_the_yard on Fri, May 10, 13 at 11:33

• jeff_al
    10 years ago

plant digs are usually sponsored by local gardening groups to rescue native plants from sites that are scheduled for development by housing, business, industry, etc.
    the oakleaf hydrangea is native to the southeast and can be spread by seed in its range. they also will form colonies from underground stolons of the parent plants.

• bulzi
    10 years ago

Over the years I have found that the last week in December till mid February has been the best time to plant any shrub or tree into the yard. I have replant into pots at various times - but- if time permitted I would wait till winter to plant them into the yard.

I was invited to a large construction site 10-12 years ago or so to see if I would want any of the small Oak Leafs that where coming up where the top soil had been piled for several years. It was mid April and got as many as possible before they were leveled out. Hundreds I saved that day. All I had to do is 'pull' them up as fast as I could. Dirt soft and good root systems. I planted 2 per pot in what ever size I had available. I am sure I lost some , but not very many at all. The most I lost was thru five finger discount. I have no doubt if I had planted them straight into the yard I believe that I would have lost most all.

I always try and keep long range weather conditions and the condition of the plant, as will as how much time will it take in caring now verses waiting for a more adequate time to plant in the ground.

Seems that most of the customers always wanted instant gratification.... which was a draw back on quick sales. I still enjoy raising plants from seeds and from rooting a cutting. A satisfaction of sorts.

I had rather die in the yard than from rocking on the porch. And at my age I am now learning what Instant Gratification really is.

• bluesagewmn
    10 years ago

Oak Leaf Hydrangeas are very difficult to transplant this time of year, The BEST time is in the winter while dormant, so Bulzi is right on target with Dec. -Feb.....once they start blooming it is almost impossible to get them to survive......Bulzi has just given some of the best advice on transplanting these beauties! Good Luck!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES