Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bird Bath Algae

Posted by mimijacobs z7 AL (My Page) on
Thu, May 23, 13 at 7:03

Do they make anything at all that will help keep that ugly green algae from forming in my bird bath? Seems I'm scrubbing it daily now! (yes, I do change water daily)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bird Bath Algae

mimijacobs, you might try "Wet and Forget" eco-friendly . We used it on a concrete patio. Is it safe for bird feeders ? Read directions and call consumer number on container about any questions you may have. It appeared not kill surrounding grass.

Might try moving you bath to a more open area away from any over hanging trees. My sister-in-law was having same problem...she cleaned her bath with vinegar.

o

I'll look it up, thanks. That bird bath is in an open completely sunny spot. No shade whatsoever.

o

• Posted by jerm5 Central AL Z7 (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 6, 13 at 11:24

Mimijacobs, the sunlight is probably the cause. Seems counterintuitive, but unlike fungi, algae are photosynthetic and thrive in the presence of direct sunlight.

Try moving it to a shaded spot that is not directly under a tree...spores falling from trees can contribute too.

o

This is an ongoing issue for me, too. I've moved my BB to a shady location (algae needs sunlight in order to thrive) conveniently located near a garden hose. Daily water changing along with a vinegar scrub once a week has really helped.

o

My grandmother swears by old pennies. Hers always stayed clean, and there were always old pennies in the bottom. She says they have to be pre-1982 for the copper content.

o

• Posted by jcalhoun 8b Mobile County AL (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 26, 13 at 13:11

In the waterworks we used copper sulfate in the reservoirs several years ago. It works but is expensive. You may want to look into dry chlorine tablets from a pool supply store.

There are other algaecides on the market but I'm not sure if any of them are safe for wildlife to drink.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here