Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New tip for mosquitos - bite prevention

Posted by roseyp8255 z8 - SC AL (My Page) on
Thu, May 4, 06 at 8:03

I was getting attacked (AS USUAL) the other night @ my aunt's she got a bottle of Johnsons creamy baby oil w/pink cap out had me coat myself in it NO bites the rest of the night, and we sat out there for a couple of hours on the deck. I am going to invest in several bottles! It worked, and it is good for your skinShe says it is hard to find.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New tip for mosquitos - bite prevention

Thanks for the tip Rosey. They always eat me up.
Jill

o

Thanks, Rosey. I'll try anything once. Sounds like a cheaper solution too and you don't get overcome by Deet smells.

o

Don't forget that Avon's Skin So Soft has been used as an insect repellent for many years. I used to buy it by the case for my employees...we mixed it with some water and sprayed it all over from a spray bottle. Good for mosquitoes, gnats, no-seeums, etc.

Will have to look for the Creamy Baby Oil. It comes in a white bottle w/blue lettering and a pink cap for those who are going to search for it.

o

Lol, All I have to do is ask my wife to come join me. The insects all flock to her and leave me alone.
That is strange but true we've noticed it many times. When I'm by myself they bug me, but when she's around they seldom bother me.

o

Mosquitoes don't usually bother me. I guess I'm just an old, thick skinned S*B. I didn't take the malaria pill when I was in Vietnam 35 years ago because they didn't bother me. The pills had side effects that I'll not discuss here. Mosquitoes flock to Sylvia. I keep telling her that perfumes, perfumed body soap, perfumed laundry soap, dryer sheets and lotions draw them to her.

o

You are SOO right Terry - on the body soaps, etc. Not on the S*B part! :) only time i even wear cologne is during winter, after the first couple of frosts - and if i know i am not gonna be outside (basically, during winter). I use SSS shower gel, lotion, etc. However, i AM gonna get me some of this stuff tomorrow nite!

o

Other possible remedies I've heard - rubbing lemon balm leaves over your skin or putting a Bounce fabric softener sheet in your pocket or shoe.

Mosquitos don't bother me as much as they do some of my friends. I've noticed that people who usually sweat easily are the most prone to bites.

o

I also read something last year about rubbing skin with sassafras leaves. Has anyone ever heard that one? I jog (and sweat) and as soon as I stop I get attacked if it's late afternoon. SSS works fairly well for me too.

o

My wife uses the same aromatic detergents on my clothes that she does on hers and I do use an aromatic after shave lotion, however I'm not as prone to sweating as she.
I read or heard that they find you by following the trail of CO2 that you exhale.

o

Phillip, I don't necessarily agree with the sweating thing. Unfortunately, I sweat like a field hand in July. Right now it is 76* outside and my hair and T-shirt are soaking from repotting. I think it is body chemistry. If your body chemistry is such that it attracts mosquitoes, then your sweat is going to be full of those attracting substances.

o

This month's issue of Consumer's Digest has rated many of the commercial mosquito and tick repellants.
Off Deep Woods containing 98% deet will protect up to 12 hours. Other brands with 30% deet protected up to 5 hours. Skin So Soft protected againts ticks and culex mosquitos for over 10 hours but less than one hour against Aedes mosquitos.

o

DEET can't be used by everyone....which makes the topic of this thread very useful.

o

I too have heard that they attracted to the trail of CO2 - and if that is the case, it is why they come after me, since I smoke...

o

Sorry rhizzo but none of the other chemicals rated very highly.
rosey,the burning tobacco produces CO2 also so you're putting out more than the non-smoker. Lol

o

DEET works even if it's just on your clothing and not on your skin.

o

Oh, I know how great DEET is for repelling those durned biting insects....no question about it. It's just that some of us need to work harder at it than others. Children should not be exposed to DEET, either. Anyway, I am one of those who is always interested in products that have SAFE repellent qualities, even if I have to reapply frequently.

I highly recommend sundog's suggestion that DEET products be sprayed on your clothing, rather than all over your bare skin. Avoid applying to your scalp, where the skin is so thin. Spray it all over a hat, instead.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here