Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roseyp8255

New tip for mosquitos - bite prevention

roseyp8255
17 years ago

I was getting attacked (AS USUAL) the other night @ my aunt's she got a bottle of JohnsonÂs creamy baby oil w/pink cap out  had me coat myself in it  NO bites the rest of the night, and we sat out there for a couple of hours on the deck. I am going to invest in several bottles! It worked, and it is good for your skinÂÂShe says it is hard to findÂ.

Comments (17)

• loveofmylife680
    17 years ago

Thanks for the tip Rosey. They always eat me up.
    Jill

• outsideplaying_gw
    17 years ago

Thanks, Rosey. I'll try anything once. Sounds like a cheaper solution too and you don't get overcome by Deet smells.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    17 years ago

Don't forget that Avon's Skin So Soft has been used as an insect repellent for many years. I used to buy it by the case for my employees...we mixed it with some water and sprayed it all over from a spray bottle. Good for mosquitoes, gnats, no-seeums, etc.

Will have to look for the Creamy Baby Oil. It comes in a white bottle w/blue lettering and a pink cap for those who are going to search for it.

• tedp2
    17 years ago

Lol, All I have to do is ask my wife to come join me. The insects all flock to her and leave me alone.
    That is strange but true we've noticed it many times. When I'm by myself they bug me, but when she's around they seldom bother me.

• roseyp8255
    Original Author
    17 years ago

You are SOO right Terry - on the body soaps, etc. Not on the S*B part! :) only time i even wear cologne is during winter, after the first couple of frosts - and if i know i am not gonna be outside (basically, during winter). I use SSS shower gel, lotion, etc. However, i AM gonna get me some of this stuff tomorrow nite!

• phillip_in_alabama
    17 years ago

Other possible remedies I've heard - rubbing lemon balm leaves over your skin or putting a Bounce fabric softener sheet in your pocket or shoe.

Mosquitos don't bother me as much as they do some of my friends. I've noticed that people who usually sweat easily are the most prone to bites.

• outsideplaying_gw
    17 years ago

I also read something last year about rubbing skin with sassafras leaves. Has anyone ever heard that one? I jog (and sweat) and as soon as I stop I get attacked if it's late afternoon. SSS works fairly well for me too.

• tedp2
    17 years ago

My wife uses the same aromatic detergents on my clothes that she does on hers and I do use an aromatic after shave lotion, however I'm not as prone to sweating as she.
    I read or heard that they find you by following the trail of CO2 that you exhale.

• tsmith2579
    17 years ago

Phillip, I don't necessarily agree with the sweating thing. Unfortunately, I sweat like a field hand in July. Right now it is 76* outside and my hair and T-shirt are soaking from repotting. I think it is body chemistry. If your body chemistry is such that it attracts mosquitoes, then your sweat is going to be full of those attracting substances.

• tedp2
    17 years ago

This month's issue of Consumer's Digest has rated many of the commercial mosquito and tick repellants.
    Off Deep Woods containing 98% deet will protect up to 12 hours. Other brands with 30% deet protected up to 5 hours. Skin So Soft protected againts ticks and culex mosquitos for over 10 hours but less than one hour against Aedes mosquitos.

17 years ago

DEET can't be used by everyone....which makes the topic of this thread very useful.

• roseyp8255
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I too have heard that they attracted to the trail of CO2 - and if that is the case, it is why they come after me, since I smoke...

• tedp2
    17 years ago

Sorry rhizzo but none of the other chemicals rated very highly.
    rosey,the burning tobacco produces CO2 also so you're putting out more than the non-smoker. Lol

• sundog7
    17 years ago

DEET works even if it's just on your clothing and not on your skin.

17 years ago

Oh, I know how great DEET is for repelling those durned biting insects....no question about it. It's just that some of us need to work harder at it than others. Children should not be exposed to DEET, either. Anyway, I am one of those who is always interested in products that have SAFE repellent qualities, even if I have to reapply frequently.

I highly recommend sundog's suggestion that DEET products be sprayed on your clothing, rather than all over your bare skin. Avoid applying to your scalp, where the skin is so thin. Spray it all over a hat, instead.

• Renee McAfee
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I am trying this product this weekend. I am terribly allergic. Last week I was bitten at 3 am while sleeping my bed and ended up in the emergency room getting IV epinephrine and solumedrol because I couldn't breathe. This weekend going to my uncles campground, and hoping this works so I don't end up scrambling to find the nearest hospital.... Who wants to smell like DEET all the time? Especially me,, who gets bitten in bed? ONE bite for me is a straight trip to the hospital. Funny thing is this is a new thing, AND I grew up on a farm! *SIGH*