Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annam1966_gw

Throwing in the towel on Sunpatiens

annam1966
9 years ago

I planted six of these large beauties in a bed that gets about four hours of sun each day. Even with watering AM/PM they wilt in the heat of the day. The constant stress cannot be good for them and they are dropping blooms. I'm planning on moving them to full shade today. They are a huge disappointment and do not perform as advertised. Has anyone else had issues with these?

Comments (6)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

When plants wilt in the heat of afternoon, it can be deceiving, causing the gardener to think they need more water, which is not always the case. If plants wilt in the afternoon but perk up overnight, they don't need more water. It's possible to overwater (rot the roots) of plants in the ground as well as potted plants. If too much water is causing the roots to rot, that would make it more difficult for the remaining roots to deliver enough moisture during the heat of the day to keep plants turgid. Checking for wilt in the morning is the best way to avoid overwatering plants that are only faux-wilted in the afternoon.

They can reportedly grow in full, all-day sun in TX.

• greentiger87
    9 years ago

How long has it been since you transplanted? Give them two weeks to adjust before you throw in the towel. Don't move them again. Water them thoroughly once a day and let them adjust.

• Carrie1961
    9 years ago

I have had 1 in a basket for 2 months in 6+ hours of full sun. At first it would flag down every afternoon, but now it has toughened up. I have to say they do not grow as lush and large as the shade lovers, but the blooms are a lot stronger and they don't get botrytis either.

• HU-670489371
    last year

hey guys, just wanted to share what helped me. I was having the same problems. Third year having them and I just couldn’t keep them alive. The answer is YES! You’re over watering, and if not that it could be a bug problem. What I found after extensive research and talking to the ladies at the flower centers was this. It’s very tough on them to water them in the evenings. Water in the early mornings before the sun becomes intense as to not scorch them. First, stick your finger down in to the knuckle. If it’s moist you do not need to water. The problem is, in the afternoon heat they tend to wilt and that is when I was rushing with a watering can morning and night and then boom they would stand back up. However, over a while of doing this I was hurting them. Just because they are wilting in the sun does not mean this flower needs watered. Yes, while it’s true that can stand extreme heat they will no matter what wilt during the days. In the evenings you’ll notice them to perk up some if not all the way. Repeat the process in the morning. Check for moisture level and water according in the mornings only. If you’re starting to worry about root rot and you want the best chance at saving them and they’re super wet when you stick your finger down in there you need to hold off watering for a couple days and poke holes in and around all the roots to help air get down there. For potted sunpatients that have been over watered, take them out if the pot and wring what you can gently from the roots. Knock off what you can and replant with some soil that helps with fungus. I used promix bx + biofungicide. Put that in the bottom of the pot and put your plant back in. Then top with some more of it. If there’s any hope this will help. If it’s a bug issue just spray with your favorite flower pesticide. I hope this helps as it helped me!

• User
    last year

Thanks for this info above. I’ve been having similar problems. My electric orange sunpatients were thriving and growing well until suddenly some started with fading to white blotches on the blossoms. I attributed it to the high heat and sun. I believe I was watering and fertilizing correctly. I have a lot of them in my front yard and this problem was spreading. The ones in a shaded area were not as affected. But this rapidly turned into the plants looking like they were actually shrinking the green blades becoming narrow and pointy and the blossoms becoming tiny and more of a darker deep red purplish color. In a matter of two or three days some of the plants looked like half of the plant was dying, then the whole plant. I took some cuttings to the nursery. There was no evidence of THRIP or any other insects. They thought possibly a virus for which there is no treatment. I bought a product called Rose Shield by a company called Bonide. I don’t like to use chemicals, but this was a last ditch effort to save them. I just wondered if anyone else is having a problem with their sunpatients like this and any suggestions that might help me save them. This was a pretty big investment.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner