Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scandia_gw

Astilbe

scandia
13 years ago

Any one know anything about Astilbe?

Do they have to be in complete shade? Planted 2 last year not knowing what colors they were..one is blooming, white and I split it into 10 plants already..

Can they get crazy verses multiplying??

Thanks for any help advice you can give..

Comments (4)

• tedevore
    13 years ago

Chinese astilbe is supposed to be more "drought tolerant' than other kinds. i've been growing one kind of purple astilbe for a number of years. I originally planted in various places in full to partial shade, but only two large clumps have survived and flourished. One near a downspout, and one in a low spot that stays wetter longer not far from the overflow of a rain barrel. The downspout clump near some cement grows really well. I suspect it likes the soil a little higher in Ph than the typical soil in my yard, which is about 6.0 from soil tests. So in my limited experience, its not tough enough to make it through summer unless you have a nice damp spot. Im sure it could stand partial shade if it had enough moisture.

• scandia
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I remember when I bought these it said they were native to North America??

You know the PH in your yard...Wow that is experience in my book..

The area where I planted them originally was full shade in summer full sun in winter. I divided them and moved them to spots that are part sun. I was worried they would die in the sun. They did not even go into transplant shock which is a good thing to me..

Thanks

• catbird
    13 years ago

It's not hard to find out the Ph in your yard, and a whole lot more. Contact your county extension office for information on submitting a soil sample for testing. Auburn processes these for $10 or less and everyone with a lawn or garden should get it done. You should probably get more than one to cover different areas of your yard.

My experience with astilbes is that they will tolerate some sun, but will need more water. Even in the shade, mine may go dormant in late summer when it's hot and dry, but will come back the next spring.

• scandia
    Original Author
    13 years ago

THANKS for the help!!! I am too lazy to find out my yard PH..I know it is different around the oaks..I just plant stuff in a spot..if it does not do well I move it..If it dies I try something else..Silly I know..And checking the PH would probably save me some serious money.

Re the water..I collect rain water I mean GALLONS of it...Then I mix it with Miracle Grow and give each plant a little..Hopefully that will help my Astilbe's..

I APPRECIATE the help!!!

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm