Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thasser

Young New Homeowner with lots of Questions!

thasser
10 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I have been doing some research and it seems like this is one of the top gardening/horticulture sites on the web. Being from the great state of Alabama I know many friends who went to Auburn (we can't all be perfect :)) who have told me some information about my back yard but I NEED MAJOR HELP.

My Story in a nutshell:
I graduated Engineering from UA and moved back to the coast, where my heart is, to pursue a career. I got married and bought a house (no kids but two big dogs) and this is what I have inherited.

The previous home owner took great pride in his gardening but for the last 12 years of his life he left the yard to grow wild having higher priorities. I found about 2-300 pictures of the yard in its former glory, and man, it looked good. I am set on restoring this to its former beauty and then some!

So far from this last blooming period, I saw 3, maybe 4 different types of azaleas. I know I have Camellias, Gardenias, Azaleas, some odd type of exotic looking flower and a Fig Tree, that I know of. The problem is, these plants look more like a tree than a bush (minus the exotic). So, here is where I am going to start (And if you are still reading thank you!):

Question 1) I have no idea what this flower in the attached picture is, anybody?
Question 2) When can I trim these plants mentioned above out? Azalea & Camelia mainly, the gardenia plants were actually "rescued" by me, they were about dead when I moved in.

And yes, that is an azalea behind these mystery plants.

This post was edited by thasser on Mon, May 20, 13 at 10:41

Comments (19)

• thasser
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another Shot of the red "mystery" flower.

• bulzi
    10 years ago

From looking at the seed pod, it appears to be a Canna Lily. Full sun plant. Comes in Roll Tide Red.

• thasser
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And here is their yellow cousin. (1/2)

• thasser
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yellow Cousin #2/2

• thasser
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And lastly the stock/flower developing. Thanks for the quick reply already @bulzi, the Crimson color is always a plus! RTR!

This post was edited by thasser on Mon, May 20, 13 at 11:50

• alabamanicole
    10 years ago

Camellias, azaleas, gardenias and figs all get big. :) If they are too big for their spot, you will have to decide if you want to cut back hard and train them small or pull them out and plant something else.

I suggest you go to the ACES site and download the gardening calendar to figure out the best times to prune everything in your area. The Mobile Botanical Garden probably has a gardening calendar as well.

Keep posting mystery photos!

• thasser
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So the balls forming off of the stock are actually seeds? Can I replant them or should I prune them? And my next mystery plant may be a bit more difficult!

• thasser
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@alabamanichole I really like the azaleas, camelias, and fig trees so I will most likely keep them. By cut back hard do you mean basically cutting/sawing them back down to the size I want them and wait til next spring for them to start growing leaves again?

The gardenias are like children again, out of 3, 2 had no leaves and 1 was in bad shape (They had been growing in pots for a LONG time, 6+ years). The one still holding on to it's leaves was transplanted around March and 1 of the 2 bare ones died, the other being covered in green now and ready to go back into the ground! Is it too late to move it into the ground? I have had the pot it is growing in the the same spot I will be planting it or the last week... Thanks for the help guys!

p.s. Next mystery flower/odd bushy plant should be up by 1/1:30!

• alabamanicole
    10 years ago

You probably don't want to cut azaleas back to the ground, but if they are reasonably healthy they'll survive even that. What you probably want to do it called rejuvenation pruning, and that's generally done after blooming is finished so they have time to recover before cold weather sets in.

I'll have to let someone else answer about camellias.

I would not cut back figs that hard. They like to be cut back about 25% each year, but are fine if you don't as you can probably tell! They also root like crazy and grow fast when happy. So your best approach depends on how big it is now and how big you want it to be. If you want it do be a LOT smaller, you might be better off pulling it out and rooting a new one. If you just want to clean it up and it's large and mature, I would read up on fig pruning. They are forgiving but you want to be sure you are setting them up to grow the way you way, which is open in the middle and with the main trunks laying down on the ground or nearly so and curving upward.

Realistically, you can't keep a healthy fig under more than about 12' unless you bonsai it in a pot. (If you do cut it back, consider gifting other gardeners with cuttings to start their own fruit trees.)

Gardenias planted now will need TLC all year, but they will if you leave them in pots, too... so take your pick. If they are in really bad shape, they just may not be worth saving versus new healthy shrubs.

• thasser
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the advice. I trimmed back the fig tree about 10% before it started to bloom this year but when the next bloom is done I will push it back some more. It is about 9' -10' tall. It also sounds like now would be a good time to prune back the azaleas, they have all bloomed and are just vegetating now so that can be this week/weekends job!

On a new note, I have my next mystery plant, I literally have no idea where to begin with this one besides the picture. I transplanted it about one month ago in April after plowing out a big bunch of weeds and these flower-looking "things" came out! Let me know what yall think!

• bulzi
    10 years ago

Last pic appears to be a Aechmea (Bromeliad). Family thereof. Some of them also have Roll Tide Red flowers.

• bulzi
    10 years ago

thasser, alabamaicole is a walking Garden Book of knowledge as is this web site.

There is also a Bible plant book called " the Southern Living GARDEN BOOK" that would be a great investment for anyone serious about gardening. You can pick it up at almost any home improvement box store.

• thasser
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Would it help any better if I could zoom in on the leaves or the flowers it makes? I would assume the flowers because each plants flowers are part of what make them so unique. Well, here is a close up on the flower anyway, I will look into Aechmea, maybe this guy wanted an all Crimson back yard.... I think I could deal with that!! Thanks for the help again!

• thasser
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Last Picture. @bulzi Thanks for the suggestion on the book - I will get that book on my next trip to the hardware store. I love all the flowers but am trying to put some fruits and veggies out there too. Already have Tomatoes planted and a very young lemon tree out there too, but for now I need to get the flower situation under control. Thanks again.

• thasser
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@bulzi - w/r to the Mystery Plant #2, I looked up the Aechmea (Bromeliad) and see lots of similarities, the only difference being my plant canot support its flowers! Do you think this is a sign of bad health or that it is a different animal altogether?

• bulzi
    10 years ago

I do think it is a Bromeliad. Did not know them to grow out side. Location, location ,location and you are way down there. The plant may be in a protected area. Their flowers are known (on that variety) to come out and as weeks go by - droop. You can see a different variety in grocery stores etc., with a a long single spike flower straight up. Some have purple leaves. I would go with the computer to see the different ones and maybe add more cousins to buddy with this one.

Oh, by the way, I known a guy that WILL NOT have an orange flowering plant in his yard. ME ? , I love them all - never - found a trash plant yet. I do have a hit list tho.

All in all you are having fun....you will learn where those water pipes are as you go. Don't forget your field lines and septic( if you have one) when planting those trees.

Take a hammock break when needed. Your pictures are great.

• plantman71
    10 years ago

Your plant looks like Bromeliad Friendship Plant. I have them growing outside for 6 to 7 years. The red flowers always hangs down.

• bulzi
    10 years ago

Plantman , good to know that the Bromeliad shown does well here. Next time that I go back home I will look for what I left behind. Should have tons of it by now. I sat it out side the hot house when I came up here three and a half years ago . Multiplies like crazy, uh? I find a surprise every time I go back.

Do you have any other Bromelaids that may be grown out side here in zone 7b / 8?

• plantman71
    10 years ago

That is the only one I have tried outside. I had so many that I just tried, they are all I have left I don't know where the others went.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting