Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loveofmylife680

feel like a kid

loveofmylife680
15 years ago

I feel like a kid learning new things. When I was growing up we did not have red mulberry tree's, well I have found 3 in my yard and boy are they good.That is if we can get to them before the birds and other climbing critters. My little girl love eating them. I am trying my dangest to bring the country out in her. lol

Jill

Comments (6)

• tweetypye
    15 years ago

Jill...I have a mulberry in my garden also. Actually it came up (probably planted by a bird), at the edge of my garden. The problem is, it's right beneath a power line. Not knowing what it was, my son cut it down a couple of times, but it's very persistent and has grown back and is large enough now that it's producing berries. The catbirds love them and so do I. I took my son down there the other day and showed him the berries. He ate some and loved them. My problem is, I'd love to keep it, but I'm afraid it's going to get to tall and interfere with the power lines. Does anyone know how large these trees get? And can you prune them and keep them smaller?
    Jan

• tsmith2579
    15 years ago

The largest mulberry tree I've seen was at my in-laws home by the driveway. The trunk was about 30 inches in diameter and it may have been 40 ft tall. They make good pies if you add a little lemon juice when boiling down the berries to make the filling. I'm going to bore everyone with a mulberry story. It was 1969 and I was at Ft. Benning, Ga for basic training. We were sent to training group headquarters to cut the grass and clean up. It was June and in hi 80s or low 90s. I was in a training company with a bunch of Yankee boys. It was nearing lunch time and we had eaten at 5 a.m. and we were hungry. There was a small mulberry tree and the ground was covered with berries. I began to eat the berries as quickly as I could stuff them in my mouth. The Yankee boys wanted to know what I was eating and if it was safe to eat. I lied and told them I didn't know if it was safe or not but they were good. They wouldn't eat them which meant more for the Alabama good ol' boy. You know, that wasn't the only time I lied to those Yankees. I sure hope Jesus was from "southern" Israel and will understand.

• loveofmylife680
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Terry, That is a funny story. I busted out laughing.
    Jill

• tweetypye
    15 years ago

I laughed too Terry, sure enjoyed your story. Thanks for sharing it.
    Jan

• pfllh
    15 years ago

Now, Terry, watch that Yankee stuff. I was born and raised in Nebraska but of course considered Midwest. My parents had a Mulberry tree. In fact I got one of the seedlings and brought it to Alabama.
    I stand out there and just munch a way when they'r ripe. The birds have planted some new ones for me. Now I can walk around my yard and munch as I go!!! :O)
    I'll see if any small enough to dig and perhaps have them for the fall swap.
    Have a great week.
    Lynn

• daffodillady
    15 years ago

This ole yankee girl (and a Buckeye, at that!!) loved to stand beneath my step-mother's mulberry tree when I was home on leave from the Army, and eat as many of those sweet berries as I could reach, even before I went in the house. And, oh, the jellies and pies!! Her beautiful old tree was about 40 ft tall.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm